American Hotrod - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2006, 09:21 AM

Last journal entry: another pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

American Hotrod

Did anyone see American Hotrod last night where they finished the 56? chevy convertable? They showed them painting the car then color sanding and buffing. When they color sanded it, they were covered in red, the color of the car. Now to me that means it was not BC/CC but I wonder what it was. I just figured they BC/CC most things and was shocked when I saw this. Any ideas what type of paint it was? Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2006, 09:50 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

saw that too and wondered the same, I did pick up on the mention of Dupont , cause if you remember they crushed the first batch of materials. maybe one of the pros on this board will have a clue on this one. . had to laugh at the moron shacking that paint can........................ how do folks get so stupid???????????? must be the water in CA
Old 04-18-2006, 09:57 AM

Last photo:

I saw a couple of old shows and Charlie said when he shoots black or Boyd red he does not use clear.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:57 PM

Last photo:

Intern

Quote:
moron shacking that paint can......
You can't blame the new guy. Duane didn't tell him until later that the can he was shaking contained a marble instead of the ball bearing!

By the way, the guy is considered an Intern.
What exactly does that mean?
I assume they will train him, but how much does he get paid compared to the rest of the workers?

Last edited by scrot; 04-18-2006 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:54 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

You know,

I hear a lot of people say they don't like Boyd-I agree he can be an *, but I still kind of like him-it seems that lately he has toned it down a little (although Duane hasn't),it may be all of the Employee turnover has changed him a little-maybe Boyd has realized that there truly is a shortage of good Tech's out there. I can tell you I've been looking for some new Service Tech's (and I pay very good)and have resorted to hiring a Headhunter to get them.

I admire Boyd for trying to help this kid (although he is a little "greener" than I'd like to start with-I have an "intern" that has a whole lot more going for him than this kid)-certainly he is at a reduced rate compared to the contributors, but what amazed me was the Tool Box the kid had-did you see it? Doesn't mean he has the Skills, just a bigger Checkbook (maybe Mommy and Daddy?)

As I was watching it last night I was thinking about why the "old" Employees stay around with all of the difficult (ignorant?) Deadlines Boyd always seems to have (could some of this be scripted?). Maybe it's the fact of being on T.V. every week (although they could probably go to work for Foose and get T.V. time). That '56 looked good when it was done, but it seems everyone is using so much Bondo on these so called "Show Cars". Did anyone hear why they split the Wheel Works from the Rod Shop?

Last edited by Jon; 04-18-2006 at 03:01 PM. Reason: profanity. Please see guidelines at: http://www.hotrodders.com/help/board/guidelines.html
Old 04-18-2006, 05:29 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I saw the show, and believe that they used single stage, not BC/CC on that car. Watching it, it looked like they showed a short blip that showed the amount of orange peel in the paint. There was quite a bit there. He did say that they were spraying 6 coats, so they could sand it smooth, and buff it, and he was spraying red when he said that. I would think, if it was BC/CC, they would have stopped with the color after 2-3 coats, and piled on the clear after that.

Aaron
Old 04-18-2006, 07:15 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

I have still not yet figured out why they just dont spray the cars with polyester primer... Foose does the same thing to his cars... I know not every section of metal on those cars is uneven and in need of glaze... but seems to be what all the top doggs at least on tv are doing... seen the same thing with many gas tanks, fenders etc.. on bike shows

Anyone else here do that for show cars only??
Old 04-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Last photo:

[QUOTE=35WINDOW]You know,

but what amazed me was the Tool Box the kid had-did you see it? Doesn't mean he has the Skills, just a bigger Checkbook (maybe Mommy and Daddy?)
QUOTE]

No kidding, back when I was working the dealerships we got in a group of fresh graduates from TSTI (Texas State Technical Institute). They all had these big rolling Snap-On boxes full of brand new shiney tools. Every week the Snap-On tool guy would come by and collect their pay check. My Craftsman tools had been payed off for a long time and were making me good money.

Vince
Old 04-18-2006, 08:22 PM

Last photo:

Boyd and Dwayne do seem a little more toned down this season. Maybe they took some classes in Humanities or maybe it was due to the fact that half of his shop has walked. I don't know much about the painting, but I do like to watch the guys at Gabes upholstery. They pull off their own miracles for Boyd. I imagine they get paid top dollar to meet his silly deadlines. I like American Hot Rod the best of all the car shows right now.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo King
Anyone else here do that for show cars only??
I prefer using glaze to polyester primer myself. I find that when you shoot every thing in polyester allot of the detail in the lines of a car tend to get lost. The sharp edges tend to get rounded. With the glaze I can still work a large area without having to block primer several times while still keeping the edges sharp. Also, I don't have to mask off anything to spread some glaze.

Notice I didn't glaze the gills on this Camaro.

I had to stretch these quarters about 5" to clear the 33" slicks without cutting into the gills like they were before. With all the seams and welding it was easier to just skim the entire quarter and surface it rather than just fill the welds, apply poly primer, block, fill any low areas, block again, then apply more primer and repeat until its all straight. I will use much less primer doing it this way and the glaze dries to sand much quicker than the poly primer.
IMO if I had sprayed the entire quarter with polyester the gills would loose some of their definition. Its all in what works for you. But I can definitely see the logic in skimming an entire car that is for all out show duty.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:02 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

Never thought about losing body lines.. makes perfect sense... Reckon I will keep doing things as I have always done... wait a minute, Now I sound like Jim... better yet, I will get me some poly primer and play with it... Okay that did not sound good either.. I will just.......
Old 04-20-2006, 06:07 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

OK, (here I go again.)

Bondoking, I have a quart of polyester primer that you are
welcome to give a try.
Once again. I'd like you to be the guinnea pig!!!

(Dad)
Old 04-20-2006, 06:24 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Jim, I hope you were able to claim "Mudking" on your taxes. LOL

I have seen many times where "so called professionals" have caused panels to loose their character by screwing up the minor body lines when using body filler. You just start sanding and when it looks striaght, you are done. By then, you forgot where the lines were.

I am working on a car right now that could be really changed by just spreading filler on it and sanding. The tops of the fenders actually came with a slight dip in them, and are not flat across them. If you just skim coated filler and blocked them, you would end up with them being flat, and not the natural shape.

Using a High build primer or similar priduct that is sprayed on, reduces the chance of changing the body shape by accident.

Aaron
Old 04-20-2006, 08:29 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Honestly, you can make/keep the lines or charactors as sharp as you want. It is much easier with poly primer I think because that is ALL you are sanding, no high and low ridges from the edges of the spreader and what not.

Brian
Old 04-20-2006, 10:10 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtkart
Jim, I hope you were able to claim "Mudking" on your taxes.
Aaron
Mudking!!! LOL that's a great one Aaron, wish I'd thought of that!!
The only way I could claim him against my taxes is under
items "lost or stolen" They don't have a spot for "borrowed"
(That's why I buy only the cheap stuff, he'll leave that alone.)
Oh well, he does pay me back letting me play "grandfather" to his
cute little girl. And he's getting ready to have another one, a boy!!!
Hopefully this one will be normal too, inspite of his father.
(good thing they take after their mother, She's cute too!!!)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.