americas pride lifts? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008, 10:02 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

americas pride lifts?

has any one bought one of these and are they any good

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 10:28 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I've been investigating lifts for about two years now, talking to manufacturers at every show and compiling info. Here's what I've learned so far.

Almost ALL of the "inexpensive" lifts are made in China using Chinese steel. Some are available with US built motors but that's about it. The difference in price between a lift made with Chinese steel and one built in the US is about a grand (at least for two post lifts and its pretty close to that with four post lifts).

Given all this there are a couple decisions that you need to make. First, if you're using this lift for "hobby" use can you justify the extra $1000 for one built in the US. If not (that's my case) then you have to decide which of thee Chinese steel lifts are "better" than the rest.

A couple quick quotes from the America's Pride web site.
Quote:
"The major difference is that it is a well known and common fact that steel manufactured in China does not have the same molecular density that steel manufactured in the United States has and therefore it is weaker.
....and in almost the next sentence....
Quote:
The products that are manufactured in our Chinese plants.......
So you can see that this company is trying to justify their purchase of Chinese steel. Although there's nothing wrong with this it just sounded a bit sleazy to me so I eliminated them from my list.

I'm in the process of purchasing a Direct Lift (two post) lift and here's why I went with them. Yes their steel comes from China, however. Direct Lift was purchased last year by Rotary (a well known and respected US company). Rotary Lifts are expensive for the hobbyist but the fact that Direct Lift now has Rotary's quality control people inspecting the steel that's being purchased as will as Direct Lift's entire manufacturing process gives me a little more assurance that I'm getting the best quality I can for the money. One other thing that influenced my decision was that they have a warehouse in Southern California and although it will be a two day trip (over and back) I can pick it up and save the shipping cost of a 1500 lb. lift.

Anyway that's how I made my decision. Hope this helps.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:01 PM

i think ive been ripped off

please fellow members do not buy from americas pride they are the leader in rip offs i just hope now i can get my money back
Old 01-14-2008, 03:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman
please fellow members do not buy from americas pride they are the leader in rip offs i just hope now i can get my money back
Give us a quick run down on what happened?? It would be nice to know for those who might be interested in the future.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:41 PM
thewrongshop@yahoo.com

Last photo:

I kicked the idea around for years of buying a new cheap'O or
getting a well built (safe) US made lift BIG BUCKS. I wound up
with a used Mohawk , well in fact I bough 2 of them and sold the A-7
and the one I kept cost me a grand total of $500.00 after the sell
I have friends with some of the "over the pond " lifts and I
have used them and didn't care for the sway and movement of them
but in noting and I mean nothing beats the Mohawk . No matter what I put up on it when I'm under there I feel safe they are built to last and there are good used ones out there , it took me 6 months to find the deal I picked up , well worth the wait ......
"ya get what you pay for , so buy it right the first time "
Old 01-16-2008, 10:11 PM

ampride

I also have been ripped of by these skunks. I have been trying to get my money back since Oct. Have wasted a lot of time writing the Mass. AG, FTC, and BBB. The only thing that has happened is BBB withdrew their accreditation.
Wells Fargo claims to be working on getting a credit card charge back. I also bought a used Mohawk a 12,000# for $2800. I think it is was a really good buy.
This thing is build Bulldozer tough and AMERICAN MADE. If it is only good for 12,000#. All these others probably are only good for lifting a bicycle. Would recommend MOHAWK to anyone.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:40 PM
thewrongshop@yahoo.com

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjohn
I also have been ripped of by these skunks. I have been trying to get my money back since Oct. Have wasted a lot of time writing the Mass. AG, FTC, and BBB. The only thing that has happened is BBB withdrew their accreditation.
Wells Fargo claims to be working on getting a credit card charge back. I also bought a used Mohawk a 12,000# for $2800. I think it is was a really good buy.
This thing is build Bulldozer tough and AMERICAN MADE. If it is only good for 12,000#. All these others probably are only good for lifting a bicycle. Would recommend MOHAWK to anyone.
I think that if someone is looking for a well built lift "American made"
Mohawk be the winner hands down . The problem is that I don't know
of any car dealer or shop in my area that has a Mohawk but our D.P.W
and that's when I noticed the amount of steel and design that was made to
last , that hooked me into searching for a Mohawk . Like ya said RobJohn
the way the others are built they probably are only good for lifting a bicycle.
I'll bet there is more STEEL in one post of a Mohawk to where one could
have enough of sheet metal to build 3 of the cheap o's . And why buy from
the Wolf in sheep's clothing ,some light weight lift and then get burnt . I'll
take my real steel Mohawk any day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	27149  
Old 01-17-2008, 05:20 PM

Mohawk

My Mohawk weighs 3100# Problem is they are expensive. Most of their sales are to government agencies. The 7000# which is probably stronger than anyone else's 12000# is $5200.+ 10,000# is $5800.+ But worth it compared to all this Chinese junk if you value your life and your country. Their website http://www.mohawklifts.com is an interesting read. Anyone contemplating a lift should check it out. I bought mine when the city shop decided to replace one of theirs with a huge 25,000# 4 post to lift their big tandem axle garbage trucks. They probably let the installer I bought it from have salvage rights.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:27 PM
thewrongshop@yahoo.com

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjohn
My Mohawk weighs 3100# Problem is they are expensive. Most of their sales are to government agencies. The 7000# which is probably stronger than anyone else's 12000# is $5200.+ 10,000# is $5800.+ But worth it compared to all this Chinese junk if you value your life and your country. Their website http://www.mohawklifts.com is an interesting read. Anyone contemplating a lift should check it out. I bought mine when the city shop decided to replace one of theirs with a huge 25,000# 4 post to lift their big tandem axle garbage trucks. They probably let the installer I bought it from have salvage rights.
RonJohn,
You like I were in the right place @ the right time
Old 01-23-2008, 08:05 PM

Americas pride

Hey Rifleman,
I got my money back from Americas pride. I had Wells Fargo working on it. Not sure if they did a chargeback or americas pride refunded. I just looked at my card account and the money is in it. Good luck with yours.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:19 AM

thank you

i m still in limbo i dont want to comment at this time but your words did help thanks
Old 01-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:

I gotta weigh-in this one. I have had a "Backyard Buddy" 4 post lift for over 5 years, had excellent delivery,instructions,precautions,free maintenence update/notices. and best of all its "Made in the U.S.A!!" Even 'ol fatrs are willing to spend money when our lives depend on it!! If you can't afford quality that will be holding 4,500# over your head,DONT BUY ANYTHING!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 07:35 PM

Very good advice streetrodder. I am not sure any lifts other than Backyard buddy and Mohawk are made in USA. Even Rotory may or may not be. I find their parent company(DOVER CORP) sells under several brands. Some of their sites admit to having a Chinese plant. Most of the other companies out there kind of skate around the issue. I sure hadn't investigated enough when I ordered that Ampro. I thought the hydraulic equalizations instead of cables appealing. Still do, My Mohawk has that but does it a better way with hydraulic displacement instead a splitter valve.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrodderbn
I gotta weigh-in this one. I have had a "Backyard Buddy" 4 post lift for over 5 years, had excellent delivery,instructions,precautions,free maintenence update/notices. and best of all its "Made in the U.S.A!!" Even 'ol fatrs are willing to spend money when our lives depend on it!! If you can't afford quality that will be holding 4,500# over your head,DONT BUY ANYTHING!!!
I've been researching lifts for about 5 years now and the one that tops my list for DO NOT BUY is Backyard Buddy. They're ads are misleading and the only way they can sound "good" is to attack their competition. Don't tell me how bad someone else's product is, tell me why yours is better. Backyard Buddy either can't or won't do that. Their salesmen are arrogant and their product is over priced. They deal only in scare tactics designed to frighten people into paying an inflated price for their, so so product.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:55 AM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:

Did you buy a lift from Backyard Buddy? I have 3 other friends who have their lifts, one is over 11 yrs old, I have NEVER doubted the strength or safety of my lift, and none of my friends have a single complaint! I have the extended height model, and all the examples I have ever seen have excellent quality! I don't see where you get your "so so " product opinion from! If you want to save a buck and buy offshore crap, just let us know when the auction will be after you get squished under your cheap lift!

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.