AMP METER HOOK UP - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2002, 04:48 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post AMP METER HOOK UP

I AM BUILDING A 33 KIT CAR THAT I AM MAKING A STREET ROD OUTOF BUT I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO WIRE THE AMPMETER. THE DONOR CAR IS A 78 MUSTANG.IF I ASK THE PURLOIERS IN FL. WERE I GOT IT I GET BS I CAN`T UNDERSTAND.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2002, 06:47 PM

The ammeter is wired in series in the circuit. The best way to wire it and the way I did it on my T-Bucket is to run a wire from the battery post on the alt to the (+) post on the gauge and then (-) post to ground. This will put the gauge on it's own circuit. Also run heavy wire with this I use 10 gauge. After that you should be set.
Old 05-23-2002, 12:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Gcomer3 - the circuit you describe sounds more like a volt meter circuit that an ammeter. An ammeter should be spliced into the wire from the + battery/alternator to the auxillary post on the ignition switch. This way the current used by all of the lights, radio, blowers, etc., will be measured.
Old 05-23-2002, 08:05 PM

I double checked my wiring and were both wrong. I knew I shouldn't have trusted my memory. I should have check befor I posted. Anyway, here is the way to hook it up and yes I double checked my T Bucket. The Battery post (hot) on the Alternator goes to the (+) post on the ammeter. The (-) post on the ammeter goes to the starter solenoid where the battery (+) cable goes. I told you wrong by saying to go to ground when you actually go to the pos battery post or pos post on the starter. I hope this clears everything.
Old 05-23-2002, 10:48 PM
Old Fart

Last photo:

Whew!!! That was close.

Al here with AutoReWire.com

Amp meters are always wired in series withing the charging circuit. In other words the way gcomer3 describes the circuit in his second post. If you wire an amp meter to ground it will short out and destroy the meter and fry the wire. Becuase amp meters are wired directly to the battery the wire on both sides of the meter is always HOT. Make shure that you use at least a 10 gauge wire with a generator, and should you choose to use an amp meter with an alternator use at least an 8 gauge wire. I've repaired a lot of fried wire on amp meters.

Volt meters are wired in a seperate curcuit (not in the charging circuit) They are normally wired between the ignition switch and ground so that they only work when the key is on and they don't drain the battery that way.

General rule is use an amp meter with a generator and use a volt meter with an alternator.

[URL DELETED]

[ May 24, 2002: Message edited by: Jon ]</p>
P.O. Box 636
Galt, CA 95632
209-481-6496 or 209-748-5555
[email]e-mail: Al@AutoReWire.com[/email]
Old 05-28-2002, 03:27 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks OK I will use a volt meter seing how I cot a alt., A voluminous thanks to you all. Now if I CAN find a job. -)
Old 05-28-2002, 01:27 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

to: al at autorewire.com, can i email you direct there sometime? i'm putting in a painless fuse panel i have to wire myself, am using stock ammeter found in the 55 chevy truck instrument cluster and have to run the #8 wire from my battery straight to my ammeter, then to the panel, ig.switch etc. right? i.e. same as stock, si? don't remember how the alt. is hooked up. used to be a one wire, then something blew up, courtesy of gates enterprises in bellingham, wa, now it's a two wire, where do they go?
Old 05-29-2002, 09:10 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

sorry, i said 55, which was a 6 volt truck, mine is actually 56, which was 12 volt. anybody know if the 55 second series was 12V?
Old 06-13-2002, 03:12 PM
Old Fart

Last photo:

Howdy

Al Campion again with AutoReWire

bullheimer you may call me anytime you like at 209-481-6496 or e-mail me with your number and the best time to call you and I'll call you.

al

sales@AutoReWire.com
P.O. Box 636
Galt, CA 95632
209-481-6496 or 209-748-5555
[email]e-mail: Al@AutoReWire.com[/email]
Old 06-22-2002, 12:34 AM

Last photo:

Red face

In Europe the general example on how to wire an ammeter is this:
Consider a "T" shaper diagram, with the battery at the bottom of the leg, the alternator on one side of the "T" bar and all the car's electrics on the other side of the bar.
ALT _____ Electrics

Batt
With the ignition switched on, and engine NOT running, the battery is supplying all the juice. Electric current flows UP.
With the engine running, the alternator is supplying the juice, and electric current flows from the alternator to the electrics
(left to right)
You fit the ammeter on the vertical leg of the "T",
ALT _____ Electrics

Ammeter

Batt
so that the gauge will read "discharge" or "-" when the battery is supplying more current than the alternator can (i.e., engine off, radio on);
OR, the gauge will read "charge" or "+" when the alternator is recharging the battery (i.e. after you've started the car and drive off);
OR, should read more or less "0" with the engine running, and the alternator supplying all that's needed.

As for wire gauge, consider you're actually using the wire that goes from thr "+" pillare on the battery to the ignition NOT to the starter motor (which can be as thick as a baby's wrist)

It's quite normal for the gauge needle to whip left or right for an instant when you turn things on or off.

Cheers,
Morris
Old 05-01-2003, 11:13 PM

Mpescatori,
In theory that is a great way of putting it.
But, in reality

Battery-----------Ammeter------Alternator
!
!
Loads

When the car is off, the battery powers the loads.
When the car is on, the alternator powers the loads and whatever current that doesnt go to the loads, charges the battery.

Nemo,
You want to be able to read all the current that the alternator is putting out. That is why you connect it here.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:17 PM

Sorry about that, the "Loads" are supposed to be in between the Battery and Ammeter.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.