Hot Rod Forum banner

Amphenol/Bendix circular style connectors

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Pathfinder 
#1 ·
Hey guys-
I'm about to begin helping my dad wire his '36 Ford using his Kwik Wire harness. I was thinking about using amphenol circular style connectors for the firewall connections, and having the engine/start/gauge sending unit wires in one connector. And having another for the headlights/efan.

I'm not sure about what size contacts to have in my connectors though... For instance: a size 12 contact may fit a size 12-14 AWG wire, and be rated at 23 amps. But would anything passing through the firewall be carrying that kind of amp load? They're available in multiple sizes within the same contact- so I guess I'm confused on how many of what size I need.
There is a 50amp charge/start/ign Maxi fused circuit built in to this harness, instead of fusable link... so that's got me wondering as well.

Any advice on how big I should go with these connector contacts? Anyone else have experience using the amphenol or cannon circular style connectors? TIA.

Nooj

#3 ·
Yes, I've seen them in the aircraft industry- I used to work on CH-46E helicopters. But I was a mechanic, and didn't get much exposure to the avionics side of things- other than unplugging and replugging connections.

There are a ton of the circular style connectors available- Some models are much more aesthetically pleasing than the aviation or industry specific ones. I agree though- some aren't pretty... But I think they have their benefits.

I guess my first post was a little confusing. What I'm wanting to know is what kind of amperage can I expect the firewall connector to see? Maximum value (ballpark), and from what circuits?
Thanks,
Nooj

#4 ·
Hi Guys, I am fighting the same battle with firewall wiring connectors. Been doing research with Newark Electronics and they have a selection of these cannon connectors that indicate amp capacities per pin location. Didn't care for the size of the connectors if I wanted to include all wires into one connector. Decided to split engine wiring and front lighting harness to keep the size of each connector smaller. One cannon connector made by Amp is capable of connecting 8 ga wire which is the size of my alternator wire. Summit sells a matrix style connector but you can buy the same one at Newark, downside is that Newark has a minimum dollar amount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.