Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Angle Grinder or Sawzall ?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 08:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Angle Grinder or Sawzall ?

Hi all

I bought an E350 with an 18 foot cube Van body and an 8 foot Lift Gate to use for picking up various projects..

It was the right price and came with a few problems that were easy to fix...except....

The Lift gate is fully operational, a rail style, 8 foot wide and about 36 inch deep platform. It is bowed in the middle and makes it tough to wheel dollies loaded with engine projects etc into the van....

I dont see any practical way to straighen it as is... so...the main platform is welded 2x 3 square steel with 1/4 inch diamond plate welded to the top. My plan was to cut away the platform itself leaving the side structural pieces and just fabricate a new platform between them....so I dont have to mess with any pivot points or brackets...essentially cut the old center portion of the lift gate platform away and build a new one....

Any of you metal fabricating gurus suggest which would be better to do the cutting / I have a 4 inch angle grinder and a pretty stout Milwaukee Sawzall....Have to cut a total of 36 inches each side... any thoughts ?

Thanks.. Mike B