angle plug heads and s-10 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2005, 03:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

angle plug heads and s-10

I bought my headers for my s-10 about 3 weeks ago. the only part i lack is the headers and exhaust. I have the angle plug victor jr heads .300raised ports and I bought the Headman Hustler headers that are made for angle plug heads on a s-10. The big problem is they hit the plugs. the number 1 and number 2 primaries hit the number 3 and number 4 spark plugs.
I was thinking since they said they would fit they would, well guess again.

are all angle plug heads made the same.i.e. with the same angle.
has anybody else had this problem with angle plug heads and the s-10.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2005, 03:36 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

Id think they would be the same for the most part??? Not sure.
Maybe try some shortie plugs in it. Or you could ding the are thats hitting.
My friend had plugs lightly hitting his headers and he lightly heated up the header tube and used a socket and taped it with a hammer until the tube wasnt hitting. Crazy, but it worked. HG

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 03-20-2005, 03:41 PM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:

I just got in my Headman full length headers - used their chart for a a 66 small block full sized passenger with angled heads and they definitely are made for angled plugs and clear the p/s pump and starter. P/N 68170

My plugs are angled like this:

/ \ / \

\ / \ /
Old 03-20-2005, 04:43 PM

hedman

there is no way I could dent the drivers side enough to get the room I need and the passengers side would have to be dented about 1/2 inch. I called them and they said there mock set up fits fine and to send mine to them at my cost.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:24 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

I ran into almost the same problem with my heads. Yes there are different angles on plugs some angle but also angle down. some angle but remain mostly straight up and down. They make a shorter header plug that may be a possibility!
Old 03-20-2005, 09:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mychevystang
I bought my headers for my s-10 about 3 weeks ago. the only part i lack is the headers and exhaust. I have the angle plug victor jr heads .300raised ports and I bought the Headman Hustler headers that are made for angle plug heads on a s-10. The big problem is they hit the plugs. the number 1 and number 2 primaries hit the number 3 and number 4 spark plugs.
I was thinking since they said they would fit they would, well guess again.

are all angle plug heads made the same.i.e. with the same angle.
has anybody else had this problem with angle plug heads and the s-10.
Ok first of all, need a little info here. Is this one of the stock S-10 engines or is this a swap? Reading that you bought victor jr. heads for it, im assuming you're talking about a smallblock conversion. If this is true, I would not recommend angle plug heads at all (although you already bought them). The hedman shorties are designed to wrap around for steering and body clearance and don't leave a lot of room for the plugs. I have straight plugs with my hedmans in my S-10 and I barely have enough room to change my plugs, infact I can only use a socket on a few of them, use a sunk in closed wrench for the others, I can't imagine how angled would be. Some guys dimple their headers with a hammer or pall peen end to allow some room for the plugs, you may have to do this if you think it will allow enogu room. If not, you may have to ditch those headers. I know that manifolds like these tend to be pretty good for clearance if you don't mind sacrificing some exaust flow. I'm sure there's a way around it because I know some guys who are running angled heads, but you may have to switch headers. Are the plugs themselves being blocked?
Old 03-20-2005, 11:24 PM

headers

I paid 495 dollars for these headers and hate to just trash them. on the drivers side I would need way to much room to dnet them or use the short plugs. I could send them back to hedman but if at that time they say they worked on there mock heads I am screwed on paying them for the inspection and then to ship them back. when I called hustler ( hedman) and then called a second time they said they worked fine on there heads, I am wondering if they are using the victor jr heads..
I was thinking of having a shop around town adjust that one pipe on each side.

yes it is a sbc.

My plugs point like this.
the 1 and 3 point to each other and the 5 nd 7 point to each other
the 3 and 5 pont away from each other
and then the same idea on the other side....

\ / \ / and then they point in the down direction.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:37 AM
Too Damn Slow

Last photo:

I had angled plug heads when I had a small block in my s-10 Blazer. I used the Hooker Supercomp headers that wrap around the frame rail and limited front tire width. I had to ding the #1 tube only for a little clearance. If you are using the raised port heads you probably are limited in the brands of off the shelf headers you can use. The steering shaft will probbaly cause some issues as well. Look into building your own set of headers. If you were mechanically inclined enough to install a v-8 in the s-series you can probably build a set of headers at least as good as a set of mass produced headers.

I built my own set for the Big Block in my blazer and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was just a matter of time. Check out www.headersbyed.com and www.headerdesign.com

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.