another 4.3 tbi thread... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2010, 06:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

another 4.3 tbi thread...

Hi folks...

i recently aquired a 4.3 tbi that came in a old willys jeep i bought, i have now put that same motor into another jeep and on saturday, we are planning to try and get it wired and turning over.

tomorrow, i plan to go for a parts run to pick up a few things but have one big issue.... i cannot seem to figure out what year my motor is.. i was told that there should be a casting number on the front right, but i couldnt see anything there. i have a '95 and found the number no prob.

so my questions are....

is there another spot i should be looking for the casting number?
what years were the tbi 4.3 made?
...and are most parts interchangable between other tbi 4.3's? stuff like ignition components, oil filters, spark plugs, pcv valves etc etc...

i'm very new to wrenchin on motors, so please forgive me if my questions may sound amaturish. i just dont want to buy the wrong parts tomorrow. saturday is the day i have a wiring guru coming down to help make sense of things for me, so i'd like to get as much of the motor tuned up as i can.

thank you for any advice.

Billy.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 06:25 PM

wow.... a last minute call from the previous owner and he says the motor is a '90. whew! that saves some guesswork...
Old 07-22-2010, 08:35 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

What year is the jeep the motor came out of?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
What year is the jeep the motor came out of?

a '47 cj2a. the fella mounted the motor in it for an updated driveline. i wanted a tbi 4.3 for my wifes '90 yj, so i robbed the motor from my willys and put it in.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:16 PM

find a set of CPI heads, they will bolt right up to your intake and add about 10HP over the stock TBI ones.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:13 AM

Last photo:

Interchangeability is good up to 1995. After that it's terrible.. GM let the engineers loose on this engine and many small design changes. Unfortunately limiting interchanges.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:52 AM

Tbi 4.3l V6

The Gen. I 4.3L 90 degree V6 was introduced by GM in 1978. The TBI (Throttle Body Injection) was introduced for that engine in 1987 and used through 1995. In 1996, GM introduced the Gen. II which was a 4.3L 90 degree V6 engine equipped with Vortec CPI heads having heart shaped combustion chambers, a CPI (Central Port Injection) and a balance shaft.

The Gen. II Vortec CPI heads will not bolt to a Gen. I TBI intake manifold. The CPI manifold bolts enter the CPI heads at a 90 degree angle whereas the TBI manifold bolts enter the TBI heads at a 45 degree angle. It may be worth the extra power if you use the Gen. II CPI Vortec heads on a Gen. I engine. To do that you must drill and tap the Vortec heads to match the TBI intake manifold bolt holes. The Gen. II Vortec CPI heads make substantially more power than the Gen. I TBI heads.

Edelbrock makes two different 4-barrel carburator manifolds, one that fits CPI heads and one that fits TBI heads. Those are for engines that will be for marine applications or vehicles that do not have computer contol. They have EGR ports that can be blocked off.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseFink
The Gen. I 4.3L 90 degree V6 was introduced by GM in 1978. The TBI (Throttle Body Injection) was introduced for that engine in 1987 and used through 1995. In 1996, GM introduced the Gen. II which was a 4.3L 90 degree V6 engine equipped with Vortec CPI heads having heart shaped combustion chambers, a CPI (Central Port Injection) and a balance shaft.

The Gen. II Vortec CPI heads will not bolt to a Gen. I TBI intake manifold. The CPI manifold bolts enter the CPI heads at a 90 degree angle whereas the TBI manifold bolts enter the TBI heads at a 45 degree angle. It may be worth the extra power if you use the Gen. II CPI Vortec heads on a Gen. I engine. To do that you must drill and tap the Vortec heads to match the TBI intake manifold bolt holes. The Gen. II Vortec CPI heads make substantially more power than the Gen. I TBI heads.

Edelbrock makes two different 4-barrel carburator manifolds, one that fits CPI heads and one that fits TBI heads. Those are for engines that will be for marine applications or vehicles that do not have computer contol. They have EGR ports that can be blocked off.
your correct except for one thing, CPI heads WILL fit on a TBI motor and you can still use the TBI manifold, CSFI heads (Vortec Style) Will NOT fit and requie a different intake.

CPI heads came factory on 93 or 94-95 Cherv/GMC Fullsize trucks. Reconzilable by the composite "Vortec V6" valve covers they share with true vortec heads.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:49 PM

Heads and intake manifolds

FastOrange.... The 1996 and later Vortec heads will fit any 4.3L V6 90 degree block.... but a 1987-1995 TBI intake manifold will not bolt up to 1996 - up to Vortec heads because the bolt hole alignment is different. The 1996-up Vortec heads must be drilled and tapped to accept a 1987 - 1996 TBI intake manifold.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

The 262 CID 4.3 V-6 didn't come out until 1985 and it was available with TBI in '85. I had one in an '85 Monte Carlo. The '78-'84 chevy 90* V-6's were a 200 CID (3.3) based on the 267 and a 229 CID (3.8) based on the 305. Not to be confused with Buick V-6's of similar displacement. The '85-'86 were 2 Pc. rear main seal flat tappet blocks, '87 thru sometime in '93-'94, depending on what it was in, had 1 Pc. rear main seals and roller cams. In '93-'94 balancer shafts were added above the camshaft and interchangeability became a real PITA, especially between engines built at Romulus, MI vs. Tonawonda, NY.

JMO but the '87-'92 shortblock with the '96-up "true" Vortec heads would be my first choice if I was going to build one. Which I was but other projects have priority. 2nd choice for heads would be the '93-'95 CPI heads off a "W" code 4.3.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:03 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:

The lowly POS 200cid V6 "3/4 of a 267" engine is what came out in '78. Then the 229cid V6 in '80 (until '84).

Then the 4.3L V6 Chevrolet engine was brought out in 1985- NOT '78- to replace the "3/4 of a 305" 229 V6.

The balance shaft was first used in 1992 in the L35- NOT '96.

The TBI was first used in 1985- NOT '87- on the VIN "Z" LB4 engine. B-body's and M/C.

The Edelbrock 2111 intake fits 1985-'95 heads, the 2114 fits "true" Vortec heads '96-up.

Neither of these intakes even has an EGR port, let alone it needing blocked off. I have read erroneous ad copy that seemed to indicate that BOTH EGR and non EGR versions were available, although I've never seen one nor can find a p/n for one.

So, there is not much left when you combine the above, with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastOrange
...CPI heads WILL fit on a TBI motor and you can still use the TBI manifold, CSFI heads (Vortec Style) Will NOT fit and requie a different intake.

CPI heads came factory on 93 or 94-95 Cherv/GMC Fullsize trucks. Reconzilable by the composite "Vortec V6" valve covers they share with true vortec heads.
BTW, I thought CPI came out in '92 on Astro vans and S-10's, but I could be wrong.

Now, we all make mistakes. I could have something wrong above.

But I wish that you'd just check the facts BEFORE you post misinformation. This seems to be an ongoing issue. It only takes a minute of your time to verify things, but please- do this BEFORE posting, so as to not make unnecessary work for others. That is all I would ask of you.

The problem is, while you might just blow it all off as a lark, not giving two flips whether what you post is accurate or not- the Hotrodders Forum comes up alot during search engine queries.

So, every false statement that is made here, stays here forever and that detracts from the credibility of the forum as a whole, unless or until it is corrected. It also trivializes the time, effort and pride that is taken by the contributing members here who have their facts straight BEFORE posting.

I hope you can see this side of it, and will in the future try just a bit harder to verify your info before you post it.

Last edited by cobalt327; 07-23-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:06 PM

Not sure if this will help much, but there's a lot of info on the 4.3 V6 (also known as the 262 V6) here.
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/t...3-info-131868/

Edit: Cobalt covered a lot of it already.

Last edited by Beachernaut; 07-23-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
FastOrange.... The 1996 and later Vortec heads will fit any 4.3L V6 90 degree block.... but a 1987-1995 TBI intake manifold will not bolt up to 1996 - up to Vortec heads because the bolt hole alignment is different. The 1996-up Vortec heads must be drilled and tapped to accept a 1987 - 1996 TBI intake manifold.
thats what i meant, it came out wrong, thanks for clarifying.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
The lowly POS 200cid V6 "3/4 of a 267" engine is what came out in '78. Then the 229cid V6 in '80 (until '84).

Then the 4.3L V6 Chevrolet engine was brought out in 1985- NOT '78- to replace the "3/4 of a 305" 229 V6.

The balance shaft was first used in 1992 in the L35- NOT '96.

The TBI was first used in 1985- NOT '87- on the VIN "Z" LB4 engine. B-body's and M/C.

The Edelbrock 2111 intake fits 1985-'95 heads, the 2114 fits "true" Vortec heads '96-up.

Neither of these intakes even has an EGR port, let alone it needing blocked off. I have read erroneous ad copy that seemed to indicate that BOTH EGR and non EGR versions were available, although I've never seen one nor can find a p/n for one.

So, there is not much left when you combine the above, with:

BTW, I thought CPI came out in '92 on Astro vans and S-10's, but I could be wrong.

Now, we all make mistakes. I could have something wrong above.

But I wish that you'd just check the facts BEFORE you post misinformation. This seems to be an ongoing issue. It only takes a minute of your time to verify things, but please- do this BEFORE posting, so as to not make unnecessary work for others. That is all I would ask of you.

The problem is, while you might just blow it all off as a lark, not giving two flips whether what you post is accurate or not- the Hotrodders Forum comes up alot during search engine queries.

So, every false statement that is made here, stays here forever and that detracts from the credibility of the forum as a whole, unless or until it is corrected. It also trivializes the time, effort and pride that is taken by the contributing members here who have their facts straight BEFORE posting.

I hope you can see this side of it, and will in the future try just a bit harder to verify your info before you post it.
it also came out in Vans and s10's but they were using the CPI system, Gm put them on trucks with a TBI intake.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:58 PM

jddingo

The Edelbrock 2114 is not only for marine applications. It
is mostly intended as a streetrod/off-road intake for 96& up 4.3l
Vortech engines. Ask Edelbrock.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.