Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Another 427 truck engine thread
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 03:39 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64r1
yea i was trying to *Bob, just cant find one. I don't have any pictures yet , don't even have the casting numbers. So basically because of my budget limitations its not worth it? I mean if i get it I dont want throw alot money into it right NOW. I am a bodyman not an engine guy and i have a ways to go on the body and update everything else(brakes, wheels tires, etc.).This was just presented to me by a friend who is selling the big block so I wanted to ask questions before buying it,then realizing that it wasnt a good decision.Just thought for 500.00 I couldnt pass it up. I know from some of the research and posts that it will require alot of attention to perform like i want it to in my impala.As far as right now being that money is tight does anyone recommend buying it and just putting it in for the time being? or am i just totally wasting my time? e.
My thoughts are offer the guy $350- $375 for it, then store it away.

Even if the heads and block are no good (and the heads are n/g anyway, from a performance standpoint), the crank and rods ought to be worth about that. If he says no, no big loss.

But I wouldn't install it stock. It needs heads and pistons and rods, at least. Rods need to be longer than stock to allow a standard deck 427 piston to work.

Also need an intake, the aforementioned TD headers, a carb, a dist, you get the idea...

EDIT- I see where you say it has only 30K on it. Guy probably won't go that low, tough decision. Might be worth it.

But if it was 30K in a dump truck hauling mill slag, might not be such a deal.

Last edited by cobalt327; 03-11-2010 at 03:44 PM.