Hot Rod Forum banner

Another 427 truck engine thread

19K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  64r1 
#1 ·
Any help or suggestions would be very helpful. I have the chance to buy a 427 truck motor tall deck,its complete carb to pan(30k miles on it). A friend is selling it to me pretty cheap imo(500.00), but i have concerns cause i know there has to be alot of modifications done to perform the way it needs to in a pass car. I have a 64 chevy impala and would like a big block , but i don't have the money for extensive modifications.What are the cheapest options that can be done without going into the bottom end? I wanted to just drop it in for now but what kinda performance could i expect with a stock truck motor? Excuse my ignorance for the last question and my lack of knowledge.I cant break the bank on it but it was just something that came up and i would love a big block.I haven't purchased the motor yet, thats why I'm posting this thread. If anyone has any feedback ,thank you.

#3 ·
Just be aware that headers could be a problem. The heads are 0.400" further away from the block than on a conventional BBC, so off the shelf headers probably won't work. If you're using power brakes with a vacuum cannister on the firewall, it might be in the way of the driver's side valve cover, requiring moving the motor to the passenger side of the car by a small amount.

Here's a virtual build I did a while back that may interest you....
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/cheapo-bbc-505-tall-deck-grunt-motor-164014.html?highlight=427T

#4 ·
A bone stock tall deck bolted into a passenger car will be a very disappointing experience.

These motors are made to produce torque and operate under 3500 rpm. Thus, the cam makes no horsepower, the heads make no horsepower, the intake sucks and has dual thermostats to contend with. Stock exhaust manifolds won't fit anything but a truck chassis. Distrib and carb are "governed". Water pump/Pulleys fit nothing other than a truck

Now, if you throw away everything but the crank and block you now have a basis for a high horse 427+ hotrod motor.

Find a mid to late seventies, clapped out, 454 pickup truck and get the engine and trans from that. A much wiser, cost efficient, decision.

#7 ·
yea i was trying to *Bob, just cant find one. I don't have any pictures yet , don't even have the casting numbers. So basically because of my budget limitations its not worth it? I mean if i get it I dont want throw alot money into it right NOW. I am a bodyman not an engine guy and i have a ways to go on the body and update everything else(brakes, wheels tires, etc.).This was just presented to me by a friend who is selling the big block so I wanted to ask questions before buying it,then realizing that it wasnt a good decision.Just thought for 500.00 I couldnt pass it up. I know from some of the research and posts that it will require alot of attention to perform like i want it to in my impala.As far as right now being that money is tight does anyone recommend buying it and just putting it in for the time being? or am i just totally wasting my time? e.

#8 · (Edited)
64r1 said:
yea i was trying to *Bob, just cant find one. I don't have any pictures yet , don't even have the casting numbers. So basically because of my budget limitations its not worth it? I mean if i get it I dont want throw alot money into it right NOW. I am a bodyman not an engine guy and i have a ways to go on the body and update everything else(brakes, wheels tires, etc.).This was just presented to me by a friend who is selling the big block so I wanted to ask questions before buying it,then realizing that it wasnt a good decision.Just thought for 500.00 I couldnt pass it up. I know from some of the research and posts that it will require alot of attention to perform like i want it to in my impala.As far as right now being that money is tight does anyone recommend buying it and just putting it in for the time being? or am i just totally wasting my time? e.
My thoughts are offer the guy $350- $375 for it, then store it away.

Even if the heads and block are no good (and the heads are n/g anyway, from a performance standpoint), the crank and rods ought to be worth about that. If he says no, no big loss.

But I wouldn't install it stock. It needs heads and pistons and rods, at least. Rods need to be longer than stock to allow a standard deck 427 piston to work.

Also need an intake, the aforementioned TD headers, a carb, a dist, you get the idea...

EDIT- I see where you say it has only 30K on it. Guy probably won't go that low, tough decision. Might be worth it.

But if it was 30K in a dump truck hauling mill slag, might not be such a deal.

#9 ·
Yea I hear ya. Thanks for all the input everyone, and it is appreciated. I cant really spend the money on the motor to have it sit or just for the block and crank because of budget concerns.I was hoping the big block would fill my want and get the car just rolling.I talked to one of the guys at the shop I work at he said the samething. Now, if i had around 10,000.00 i would jump on it! But as it seems i don't haha. Anyways when i was talking to him he has a set of 454 heads(don't know any numbers) that he would be willing to give me, fresh out of the machine shop ready to go. I guess maybe i can find a pass bbc with a good bottom end.anyone have one??? Well, thanks again!

#10 ·
I think if you wanted some HP and some pretty surprising performance I would do several things....

1. Cam swap (nothing crazy just a decent flat tappet with some added lift and duration)

This is the most important thing because as stated before this is set up for TQ only.

2. Shop around for some cheap BBC heads...Just about any oval port heads will support 450 hp. Just watch out for peanut ports. Deals can be found anywhere on these "mediocre" oval port heads. Ideally you will find some with 100 cc or so chambers to bump up the compression a bit like these...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BBC-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2c5386b86b

If you do these two things with a little help from your friends you will have less than 800 bucks in this motor and it will run pretty dang good. Once you have these things you can drive the car around with the stock intake and carb and when you get a little more cash throw on a cheap intake and find a 750 carb and it will really wake up the whole package.

If you can't spare 800 bucks to do this then you might as well just forget ever considering a big block, cause this is as cheap and quick as it gets.

#11 ·
If you found yourself falling into some cash, you could shop around for some better heads like 781's or 042's which are some pretty good oval ports and can support 500+ HP, you would get yourself some .400 longer connecting rods, and some standard 427 pistons that are two valve relief flat tops. This eliminates tons of weight from the rotating assembly. The 427T cranks are forged so I would reuse that.

But if you fell into a few hundred extra dollars on top of that. You could buy a cheap 4.25" stroker crank, along with the +.400 rods and .060 over stroker pistons, you would have a 496 CI big block. Stick a nasty cam in it, a 850-950 cfm carb and a big intake on it and you will have more power than most sane people can handle on the street. You would still only be into it for around 5000.00 As long as you didn't try to spin it past 6500 RPM it would last plenty.

I have personally done this last step and made over 550hp on pump gas with an 850 carb.

#12 ·
see I want a big block as my final power plant but this motor came up in conversation so it surprised me for the most part. As far as spending money on a bbc i know they cost money and they arent the cheapest thing to build but like i said i wasnt ready for the big block just kinda sprang itself upon me and I could get 500.00 no prob.Just was kinda wishing it was a passenger motor now cause money isnt there for a build right now. Well my dad has a friend with a late 80's rv going to go by and see what the numbers are on the block hope its a light truck 454 not a dagum td truck motor.

#14 ·
Yea ? well, my buddy has some stock 454 heads off a light truck he will let me have, they fresh out of the machine shop, don't know what heads they are. Could i do what double v23 said and swap those heads and get headers and a cam for the 427? then later on manifold and carb ,distributor,etc? would that make sense? or should i just keep looking for a standard deck being that I'm not looking for a total build at this juncture? I do apologize for my ignorance but i don't know so i ask questions.Just don't want to tell my buddy no on the motor then find out I could have just swapped heads and put a cam in it for the time being.

#15 ·
If the guy wants a similar amount for the motor in the RV then go with that. It has several benefits....

1. it is a 454 so making power is easier due to the larger displacement.

2. You won't need special belt lengths or accessories or pushrods or rod lengths when you rebuild it.

3. Some of those 454's in RV's came with forged cranks.

#16 ·
64r1 said:
Yea ? well, my buddy has some stock 454 heads off a light truck he will let me have, they fresh out of the machine shop, don't know what heads they are. Could i do what double v23 said and swap those heads and get headers and a cam for the 427? then later on manifold and carb ,distributor,etc? would that make sense?
It could make sense w/a few proviso's.

If your budget will not allow a std. deck build and you really want a BBC of any kind, the 427 TD may make 'sense'.

You need to know what heads your buddy has, to know whether they'd be a good replacement.

On the other hand, the TD 427 is somewhat limited by the 4 ring pistons and can be a chore to swap due to the height of the engine when installed into a car- though it will fit in larger bays.

or should i just keep looking for a standard deck being that I'm not looking for a total build at this juncture? *snip* Just don't want to tell my buddy no on the motor then find out I could have just swapped heads and put a cam in it for the time being.
Unless you are in a hurry, I'd hold off for a std. deck 454 engine to build up. But that's ME.

It almost sounds like you had no "want" of a BBC until this truck engine showed up, and IT made you consider the whole BBC thing.

You CAN "just swap heads and put a cam in it for the time being". Just know that there are compromises involved, is all.

#17 ·
You guys along with my buddy have been a great help. Yea the whole big block thing just came about from my dad. I always wanted a bbc but never had the time nor money to even bother looking for one plus haven't had the money to mess with my 64 impala but against my wife's wishes i have kept the car. i do not intend to sell this car i have been through 4 impala's and tired of finding one once i sell one. My father is willing to help financially with my build so thats very uplifting i haven't asked him for a hand out He hates seeing the car just sit in my garage. Anyway i have a few bucks to get a bbc platform thanks to him. i have another lead on a 454 bbc he is about an hr from me don't know if it runs but "he said it did"( we all know thats 50/50) anyway he wants 700.00 and its complete with all the accs, but minus the carb, casting number is 14015445 that is also i believe the same on the rv here in town that my dad knows of.hope my dad can get in touch with his friend with the rv cause that motor is still in the rv and runs to my dads knowledge. Plus he thinks the guy will let it go for 500.00 By the way the heads my friend gave me the casting number is 140810457.

#19 ·
*14081045 i found it on top of the head in between the valves thats where i got it from don't know the locations but when i punched in the numbers for the heads it came up oval port open chamber 454, it didnt have heavy duty truck or td truck next to it so i assume thats a good sign?

#22 ·
Well, it ain't the end of the world. They could still be used in a low-rpm build....this was copied from a Car Craft article....

"GM Iron Peanut Port
This cast-iron head is called the peanut port because the intake ports are not much larger than their namesake. Omar Cabrillo at Coast Motor Supply in Canoga Park, California, helped us out by supplying a pair of the heads complete with tiny stock valves, new guides, and a basic valve job. These peanut ports are roughly 30 percent smaller than an aftermarket 270cc version. There are larger factory oval-port, cast-iron, open-chamber heads at 250 cc, but the only ones we could find had been modified, which would not be representative of an OE head. But don't count these peanut clusters out. If you were looking to build a budget-oriented Rat for towing where power above 4,500 rpm was not a concern, these heads would be an excellent choice with almost 600 lb-ft of torque at 3,200 rpm. If you were to pocket-port these heads and add larger 2.19/1.88-inch valves, you could make 530-plus horsepower. That's not bad for iron castings."

#23 ·
yea i was hoping for a bigger head but Im not complaining my buddy hooked me up with them so if i dont use them i would give them back. Well, got off the phone with the guy who has the 454 about an hr from me, he broke the tranny from the block while doing so rotated the motor and water came out one of the spark plug holes.Don't know yet how severe but atleast he called to let me know that was stand up thing to do. Anyway if its not too bad maybe i can get the block and bottom end for cheap. still waiting to find my dads friend but other than atleast we arent out of any money

#25 ·
techinspector1 said:
Well, it ain't the end of the world. They could still be used in a low-rpm build....
The first 454 I built was w/a set of PP heads.

I ported them and ended up staying w/the stock intake and exhaust, the ports measured to be ~220 cc- after porting, so they're small as cast.

The engine ran very good, actually. The cam I used was a .544 lift w/duration of 238 degrees @ 0.050". Cast iron intake w/Q-jet and 1-3/4" headers.

No idea of the HP or even an estimate from a 1/4 mile trap speed- the engine was barely broken in before it went to a 4-wheeler who had way more $$$ than brains, so I sold it- one of those deals that I just couldn't pass up.

Built a real nice Pontiac engine/tranny/12-bolt rear end for my '81 Camaro from the proceeds. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.