Another alternator question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009, 12:07 PM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Another alternator question

A customer brought his streetrod back in to show it to me after the paint was done. Nice car. Early 30's Chrysler custom car.

Anyway I did a lot of the wiring and AC on this car. I went to a lot of trouble to install a relay to operate the cooling fan. It had 10 ga wire to the fan relay from the key on power side from the main circuit board that I made (yeah I know you can buy these too) which was set up to provide "alway on power and Key on power". I also had installed a nice one way connector so the fan could be removed for radiator service if necessary and simply plugged back in. There was also a dedicated ground for the fan motor. The fan had an adjustable temp setting device built into it. Customer supplied. This all worked very well. The car could sit still in 100 deg weather with the AC on full and as many of the accessories as can be turned on at one time running and not get hot. It has a 140 amp alt. 3 wire. The fan would come on at 200 (pre set) and cool the motor back down to 180 and shut off. Even with the AC on it would cycle in 90 deg weather.

Well the body shop took all this off and now has what looks like a 12 ga wire directly from the alternator output going to the fan and the fan has another ground with an inline fuse in it, my connector is gone. The fan now runs all the time that the motor is running. While it works, my question is; is this a safe or wise thing to do??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2009, 02:59 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Man this is a terrible story, those clowns cut your customer deep, and gave you less then what he took in there .

If I were the owner and you can be his witness I'd give em a call tell them the wiring has been butchered and needs to be corrected on their dime or the lawyer will be called.

He takes it to another shop ........... yours and have it put back to the condition it was received . I would not accept this mess it is wrong on so many levels ... people must take these folks to task and make them do what they promise ............... and charge for .. awful story

These clowns have made the car less it worked and was wired correctly before the morons did the chop job .... this really makes me want to pound something ...

Give them some advice like what you will accept and demand it done ... if that can not be accomplished I'd have it redone get the law and just sue them for the repairs .

The term is abailment (spelling ) .. means that if you have something in your possession that you do not own . It must be given back in the same condition as received .. this is clearly not the case here, and the good part your are the expert witness as to these facts

\Do not accept this and make them or at least have them PAY you to put the car back to the way it was ................. OT rates apply here
Old 05-13-2009, 03:04 PM
Last photo:

I agree with Pepi, they hosed your customer and should be made to correct the situation, as it is unsafe.

Vince
Old 05-14-2009, 08:10 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

This one will play out some more. The guy called me last week end and we met and he gave me his custom grill to rework as it fell apart on the highway. 15 minutes after he left me someone rear ended him so the car will be back in the body shop. I don't know if it is the same one but I'll be talking to him later. I feel sorry for him as he has had one thing after another go wrong on this car.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.