Another Broken Starter Nose - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2005, 03:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Another Broken Starter Nose

i have two 406's that have the same problem.i just built another 406 with less c.r. for gas price's and i broke the starter nose off the other day.i never got to that extreme with the first one but it was bad.you align either one and they are good for a short time usually and then we're off again.the first one had 185-195 lbs. of cranking compression but thats not it.it has new starter bolts and i have 1/2 a dozen starters that all do it.i tried to hook up the small bracket on the back of the starter but the stater shield and headers are in the way.someone said GM starters don't do it but i can't believe that.anyone have any rational ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2005, 04:21 PM
my alter ego

Last photo:

I don't know how rational this may be but is the timing overly advanced causing a kickback? Does the flexplate look like it has excessive runout (out of round) when the engine is running(ie bent crankshaft or bad flexplate)?
Old 05-27-2005, 12:12 AM

i drove the other motor daily and the ignition was advanced a good deal but not more than it could take since it ran great.the other flexplate was stock as was the crank but in good shape.the new motor is just that.new.i worked with it today and got it working for now and pretty good too.we'll see how long it last.the flex plate is new and h.d. and breaking that nose did booger the edge of a couple of teeth but not bad.i just wish that i could get to that bolt hole on the block on the back side of the starter.i did how ever have the bendix out to line it up as well as i could but how long will it last?

Last edited by GoneNova/406; 05-27-2005 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

If you don't use the bracket on the tail end of the starter, you will likely be breaking more noses. That's why they design the brackets in the first place!
Old 05-27-2005, 12:41 AM

yes.easy for you to say.think i wouldnt use it if i could?
Old 05-27-2005, 01:53 AM

Last photo:

There are several different brackets to choose from. I used a factory one that was 1/2" x 1/2" angle iron , hooked to the top stud and a tapped hole on a boss about 2" below the head. It hugged the block and cleared the starter shield and headers easily. Without some kind of support you will probably keep on busting noses. Good luck.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:55 AM

I was having the same problem with my 10 to 1 c.r. 406 and used the 1/2 x 1/2 angle iron bracket on mine and it seems to have cured the problem. It clears my headers with no problem.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:55 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I determined that my recent broken starter was due to kickback. When I went to a hotter ignition it begain to rear its head. I set my cranking timing back and all is good. If you have an MSD, they make a plug in module for cranking timing retard.

Chris
Old 05-27-2005, 04:58 AM

i'm not some simpleton that doesn't know which end of the wrench to use.if it were that simple i wouldn't be talking to you.its in a van which you know that the motor sits inside a dog house just big enough for the engine.its not some huge enine bay.the dog house comes off inside the van then you have to somehow get behind the headers and the starter shield is slightly in the way also.if thats not enough its below the floor board.if it were that simple i wouldn't be here talking to you.and you can't get to it at all from the bottom.thats why i'm asking for other ideas.the only other thing i can think of is to take back out and fab another bracket and go up around the head somewhere to find a bolt to hook the bracket to.last nite i got it in and aligned so it is starting for the time being better than it has since before the last 406.so just maybe i'm on the right track

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.