Another cheap paint gun question. Searched all day - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2010, 06:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Another cheap paint gun question. Searched all day

Sorry for another question about cheap paint guns.
I have searched and read threads on paint guns here all afternoon and I just cant seem to get a clear idea of what to purchase.
I was leaning toward the Titan set from Northern that seems to be well liked here. But I really dont have a great compressor and began to look for something with lower cfm ratings. That is when I found LVLP guns.

Now my current gun is an Ampro with 1.4 tip. I have a hard time getting it to put out enough single stage enamel to flow nicely. I have to go super slow. I have to stop for the compressor to keep up also.
Will a LVLP gun put out more or the same material with less volume of air?

What do you guys think of this set? I am on a minuscule budget currently.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11283541

I am currently just painting Jeeps for off road and touching up late model wrecks but i would like to improve in my skills and take on more complicated jobs where nicer finishes are required.

Here was my first attempt at painting.I have a long way to go tp get good at this.

Advertisement

Last edited by ShamburgOffRoad; 08-29-2010 at 06:40 PM. Reason: added pics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 03:29 PM

Last photo:

Conventional guns work well and you can typically get away with a cheaper compressor system. Is your Ampro conventional or HVLP?
If your CFM is really low you may have to get a detail gun or upgrade compressor system. How many CFM can your system produce at working PSI?
Old 08-30-2010, 03:36 PM

Last photo:

My current ampro gun is hvlp. My compressor is rated as follows.

Air Compressor | Brand : Campbell Hausfield® | Tank Capacity : 60 gal. | PSI Rating : 135 Max PSI | Flow Rate : 11.5 SCFM @ 40 PSI, 10.2 SCFM @ 90 PSI, | Power Rating : 3 HP | Length : 27 in. | Width : 30 in. | Height : 71 in. | Material : Steel

As far as conventional would something like this work? 6 to 12 cfm rating makes me nervous though.

This vaper is 7-9

The ampro lvlp set is rated at 3-3.9
Old 08-30-2010, 04:53 PM

Last photo:

I could not spray as flat with HVLP as I could with conventional.
I use a conventional touch up gun and conventional guns for primer, base and clear; atomization is great.

My HF side feed small touch up gun works great; blew me away.

I would be very afraid of LVLP atomization quality but I have not tried it.

Many recommend larger diameter lines and HVLP couplings with HVLP guns= more money.

It is good to have different tip sizes to match paint.
Sometimes cheap guns don't have option of buying different tips, but you can buy another cheap gun with a different tip.

Tips for my high end gun cost about $75; can buy decent gun for less.

I wouldn't be afraid to try the conventional astro gun you mentioned with your compressor as long as your lines are 3/8". If your compressor can't keep up you can trim your fan width in a bit.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:04 PM

Last photo:

Upside down guns

I have two new guns that can spray upside down.
The HF very small side feed touch up gun.
Devilbiss CVi-620G with the zip lock baggie set up.

It is such a luxury to have upside down capability when painting trunks, lower rockers, etc..

Just something to consider.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:13 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

You should really look into your compressor situation...Thats awful small and should be getting pretty hot causing other paint problems.when I was starting out I couldnt afford a new compressor so I built one. Your tank sounds big enough so you just need to find a bigger compressor head and motor...I found quite a few of both at the local scrap yards...Only one problem is you'll never want to buy a new one...when you learn how to build them....Its kinda hard to sand something with a small compressor too...
the right compressor will sure make life easier....dont forget filters ...clean air is a must....
Old 08-31-2010, 08:20 AM

Last photo:

water in the line

You can check for excess water in the line by spraying air on concrete. You can see if water is in the line. Cheapest way I know to control the water is to run 50' of 1/2" copper pipe sloped back toward compressor tank. Make a flex joint of hose to interface with compressor.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:33 AM

That 3hp 60gal setup is very typical and common setup. It is probably the minimum that you can get away with but it will work ok.
I'm not familiar with the Ampro LVLP and it should work although 3-3.9 is a very low CFM, so I am suspect about proper atomization.
The Astro EVO is a popular LVLP gun that works well. Search for it and you will find a lot of generally favorable comments on it. It is not real fast but it does spray nicely and the CFM is 7.8@40psi. I think you can get it for about $80. Your compressor would handle it fine.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

DB is right on about the compressor, you need more power. If you're having to wait for your compressor to catch up with your current gun, it's time to get a bigger compressor. Length of hose will make a difference, filters, etc, will slow your air pressure, a gauge at the gun helps.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:46 PM

Last photo:

For what it's worth...I have a compressor with spec's very close to yours, 12.3 cfm/40 psi, 10.3 cfm/90 psi. I've been spraying high build
primer with a Devilbiss Starting Line gun...13 cfm at 30 psi...I run at about 35 psi. No doubt about it...it uses the air, but the compressor does not run continously...it only runs for length while spraying the large areas of the car (hood, top, etc.).

I've yet to notice the pressure drop anywhere near the regulated pressure, but as you know...the less the compressor runs the better.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:59 PM

Last photo:

Ok I want an astro gun.

I have decided to try plumbing a smaller 110 compressor and another 80 gallon tank into my water seperator. But I have also decided to try an astro gun or 2.

I cant decide between an evo,euro pro hvlp or euro pro hte. Or maybe one of the 2 gun sets.

Any advice on which astro to try?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:52 AM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

If you want a cheap gun that works, you can buy one of these from HF for $10-15 on sale. Use it a few times and toss it. They work good when they are brand new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	48084  
Old 09-15-2010, 03:43 PM

Last photo:

Thanks. I just splurged and bought a finishline 3 for primer and astro evo for base/clear. They spray so much better than my ampro gun it is ridiculous.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.