another chop job - Page 16 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Pics from the nitebird.

Before

After the work

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Would it have been easier to go with a one piece glass??
Old 11-29-2008, 10:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

yes it would be less work, also it would look a cleaner, probabley give it a nice 'smooth' look. But a wanted to keep the vent windows, thought they would be 'cool' . Biggest thing would be , if I had not moved the window tops as I said before... Also, I think , If I took more time finding other flush mounted door handles that didn't stick into the door as far, would give me more room........but this is a low budget build, so I guess I shouldn't complain about the time...
Old 12-06-2008, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

well, as I said a couple of posts back, I'm having major problems getting the window channels right, so,,,, before I start breaking things , I am going to move this '48 to a stall in the back of the barn for a while ! Which is really ok, cause , as My wife reminded me, today, I '' have alot of work to do on these other vehicles before winter ". So, I won't be getting anything done on the '48 for a little while ....plus, I think winter is all ready here !
Old 12-23-2008, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

Bad news ! remember that back stall in the barn , with no heat or insulation , where I put the '48 ? So I can work on these other vehicles ? Well , I'm thinking... one item to check on these, is the antifreeze, then I remember... NO antifreeze in the '48 ! Well it's been down to about 7 degrees at least three nites, so go back there and look under the hood, in the radiator, YUP ! froze up ! I can see ice in the radiator !. It's an aluminum rad with plastic end tanks, appears to be only 1/2 full (of ice). Think it's broke ? What damage can I expect from the engine ? How tough is this engine? What's the best way to thaw this out ? I asume kind slow...................I hate to think all this work (and expense) has to be done over..........
Old 12-23-2008, 10:07 AM

Ice

If ya hold your mouth right, and have been living a good clean life, like Momma told ya to.......the plastic end caps will swell with the expansion and MAYBE let the rad live.
And MAYBE the soft plugs, which up north we always called them FREEZE plug will push out and save the bock.
As far as the best way to thaw it out...I am not sure.
I wonder.....if since the rad is only half full....would it help to ADD some anti freeze so if anything does thaw.....it won't re-freeze. I know it would not penetrate the block but it may be worth a shot.
I think I would be tempted to take off the water hoses, and remove the thermostat. It MIGHT even be worth it to pull the whole water pump....ANYTIHNG to give the ice room to expand.
Let us know how this turns out. Good luck!
Old 12-23-2008, 12:33 PM

Last photo:

well, I pulled the top rad hose off, there's no thermostat in it yet, so I could see in the housing, no ice or water.............that could be good news. Pulled off bottom hose, full of frozen slush, partial thawed, I think due to the flame thrower heat, ice up in the water pump cavity and the lower rad.......... I'll let it thaw out some more, hopefully get it back into thewarm side of the shop in the next day or two..........raining today.....that should help melt some of the ice ??????????????
Old 12-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

I was going to say you should plug it in but I guess you don't have block heaters in Kansas. Hopefully the freeze plugs will punch out if the water froze solid in the block. I don't know about the rad but if was copper and it froze it would be split up here.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:38 PM

Last photo:

I think most people here know what block heaters are, but I don't think they have them or know how to use them. Acouple years ago, whike living in Texas ( I'm originally from Wisconsin) I tried to explain to them about tank heaters and block heaters and such, they thought I was making it all up ! Anyway, the rad is aluminum (Ford Explorer, I think ) cross flow, with plastic end tanks. Got this pretty cheap from junk yard, sure would hate to buy a new one ! I know the 'freeze plugs' or 'frost plugs' is what I used to call them, are really just casting plugs, but in this case, I hope they are 'freeze'plugs, but then again I just put new ones in just before I put the engine in....they're probabley pretty tight ! It's getting down to 20 degrees tonite ! Better run the flame thrower some more and cover with blankets...........
Old 12-26-2008, 10:25 AM

Last photo:

well, I got the car into the warm work area, did some looking ...... both rear fost plugs, or in this case , freeze plugs were popped out, checked the oil pan drain plug for water, was just enough to thin the oil a little bit, but not discolor it , took the spark plugs out, blew some air in each cylinder, I think I got some moisture out of # 5 on the rt, # 4 on the left, the sprayed some WD 40 in the holes to keep them from rusting. Today I hope to pressureize the block and maybe do a leak down test, providing I can make the neccesssary gadgets to do it with I did get the radiator checked, with a very old pressure checker I aquired many years ago, rad has a very slow leak........ I really would hate to loose this motor !!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 11:33 AM

Last photo:

Last nite, hooked shop air to the thermostar housing, at 20 # it blew out the frost plugs that I tried to re-use, at 10 # I could not hear any lraks anywhere ! So, I 'm thinkin' ,if there is a leak somewhere, It can't be very big. Like maybe a good stop leak would seal it up . Only question now is the lifter valley, which is, I'm told , is the first place these engines crack. If so, that means I will have to pull the intake to check this out ??????????
Old 12-28-2008, 09:03 AM

Last photo:

ok, I checked everything again, put air on the thermostat housing again , air in the spark plug hole, this time , had the wife listen for air leaks, ( it's amazing what she,(they) can hear !!!) nothing ! So....... when we get s warm spell, I will take this out side, flush it good and use some block sealant, just in case, and see what happens...maybe keep in mind, a good replacement engine to totaly rebiuld for later use, as this is still a used engine....maybe I'll work on the doors some more.........
Old 12-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Glad to hear that things are not looking bleak. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:20 AM

Last photo:

8 1/4 ??

went ot a small local junk yard yesterday, got some bucket seats (gray) from a small '95 Pontiac for $ 100 , front and rear ! while talking with the owner ( a Mopar guy ) he was telling about a ''8 1/4 '' (??????) rear end complete with brake drums for $150......says it's as good as a Ford 9'' ( I think that's the one everyone uses ) does he know what he's talking about ???????
Old 01-21-2009, 09:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Here are a couple of pics of those seats.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.