another chop job - Page 17 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Seats look prety nice. Are they comfortable?

I don't know much about mopar rear ends. Perhaps someone else can help. If not start a new thread in the Transmission - Rearend forum and you will get help there.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 10:36 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

seats are very comfy ! I managed to swap the electric seat parts from the '85 seats to these seats without too much modifying , still had to raise them up another inch ! There is plenty of room in the center for a console , The rear, I'm not too sure about, as I only have the cushions, I'll have to make some kind of support for the edges of the cushion. The back cushion, at this point, is too tall, maybe I'll need to buy a sewing machine .........
Old 01-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthawk
........The back cushion, at this point, is too tall, maybe I'll need to buy a sewing machine .........
Look out Dan! Here comes another one.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:33 PM

Last photo:

Brew; I assume you are referring to Dantwolakes ? I read some of his postings.....very intresting !
Old 03-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Got this from knighthawk to post.

"not getting much done on the '48 , just working on the window garnish, etc. Been busy working "remodeling " the master bathroom, ( prioritys, you know ) then slipped of a 2 foot high stepladder and really hirt my knee, anyway.... thought maybe 'we' could post a couple pictures of how I did the wood graining.
thanks"

This pic shows the window frames cut down to size and re curved.

after cutting and shapeing the trim pieces, I smoothed the welds with bondo, primed, then painted it with the wood color, ( spray can enamel ) . Then take small peice of terry cloth, cause it has the 'bumps' , dip it in a can, also enamel, of black, drag off the excess on the edge of the can, then just before you apply the paint , blot it in the tape, then lightly drag it across the 'wood' colored peice. I put tape in the corners, to create the illusion of mitered corners. I think it looks better than dragging the cloth in a curve. Just do 1 side, let it dry, move the tape, do the other side. let it all dry, lightl sand it, cause the black will be higher than the brown, then cover it all with some clear, and you can sand it more and keep biulding up the clear till it's all smooth. I reccommend practicing on a pice first...... I you look back a couple postings you see what the finished product looks like........couple cans of spray paint, a small can of black ......pretty cheap !

Old 03-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Looking good!! How is the knee healing???
Old 03-05-2009, 10:47 AM

Last photo:

I thought my knee was getting better,but now I'm not sure ,Almost a month now, still sore and swollen, talking about a MRI to see what was torn ... I think it would help if I stay off the ladders and the stairs for a few days.... that'l mean I have to quit the remodelling project and just work in the shop on the '48 !!!!!!!!!!!!!........thanks ' Brew'
Old 04-01-2009, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

new problem......

new problem; besides the knee, ( volare front end from the '85 Chrysler ) the camber angle on only the right front wheel changes on it's own !!!!!!!!!! when i measured it after the care around, and / or jacking it up , i get a camber of about 1/4 '' tilted in at the top ! Other times I measured it , it 1/4'' out . ! Can't seem to get movement out of the bushings, just seems like the ''tower'' bracket for the top "A" arm is bending . Is this possible ? Anyone heard of this ? what's the cure ??????.......thanks .... car show comming up in 2 months , must be ready !
Old 04-06-2009, 09:49 AM

Last photo:

I been busy getting alot of misc stuff done, exhaust pipes, radio and speakers, antenna wires, , rear deck or package tray, misc wiring.... the small loacal junkyrad has a carb for me for $20 out of a mid 70's 318, but my question is... what years will I get the best performance befor they sarted the power cut backs ? I think early 70's, before 74 would be best ?????
Old 04-08-2009, 10:05 AM

Last photo:

I have a 48 dodge 4 door d-24 chopped top still a project car
rear window intact.top was split just in front of center pillar
and about 12-14 inches added.chevy nova front clip 2 front ends-think i'll make tilt. how you make rear doors sucide??
I hope mine will come out as nice as yours.I can't sucide my doors because my rear doors fallow rear fender lines.I noteced yours don't

Last edited by bobjob; 04-08-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:14 PM

Last photo:

sorry for the delay here, computor was down again ! My '48 was always suicide doors. I just assumed they all were ! How could you add 10 - 12 inches to the roof ! and I would really like to do the tilt hood also....matbe later. Plan to take it to a car show in couple weeks, I think I can get it drivable by then , not sure about the tranny yet . Got the rear window and windshield in ,, re-adjusted the rad core support, now all the hood and fenders off, aliittle more re-working on the frenched headlite and turn signal assys, then maybe put the fenders on for the LAST TIME!!! Almost forgot, I m getting my knee opertated on next week, Im told I'll be off it for a week ! Sure hope their wrong ! Ain't got time for stuff like that !
Old 04-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Looks like you have been a busy guy. Hope the surgery goes well. Bad knees are a bummer.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:54 PM
"Love what you do for a living

Last photo:

Wow looks like you did a nice chop I hope to chop something one day!
Old 04-18-2009, 09:25 AM

Last photo:

computor working today.... took the '48 on it's 'road test' yesterday... after dark, which wasn't too smart, lites started flickering, going off and on, engines dies , 1/2 mile away from home ...... luckily I had a spare battery in the trunk, used to jump iit earlier.......... any way found out later it was loose battery cables ! And also th ignition switch needed to be adjusted, as I had nothing on the acc side . Now, once again , everything appears to be working....... except for that right front camber adjustment ( car pulls bad to the left ).....that may have to wiait till for an alingment shop................
Old 04-19-2009, 09:52 AM

Last photo:

new problem (maybe ), after thr road test the other day, I noticed the oil cooler for the tranny was still cold but the tranny itself was warm. I thought the oil ALWAYS flowed from the tranny. Tranny is a '85 Torqueflite 904.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.