another chop job - Page 19 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 09:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

found the brake problem... the brake pad was worn unevenly, one end was wore down 1/8''more thanthe other end, and when the caliper piston comes outward under pressure hitting the uneven pad, ***** the piston and locks it up. Then after a short while after pressure is released somes times frees up, other times stays tight ....after installing new hubs/rotors, calipers and pads, and a road test, all is fine !,,,.........now..on to the suspension........

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2009, 10:16 AM

Last photo:

thinkin'

when I first 'lowered' the car, I raised the rear spring schackles about 7'', by reshaping the the rear frame at the shackle mount. ( should be some pics somewhere in this thread ), figureing the axle (and wheels) would be raised 3 1/2 ''.....well that part was correct, it did lower the car, and retain all the original suspension. Problem : not enough suspension or travel clearance. Ais shocks helped, but made it too stiff. I only way to solve this ( I thought) is to section the frame rail for more bumper clearance and raise the floor pan over the drive line. As this part of the car was already done, I decided it would be easier just to lenghten the rear shackles by about 2'' , and it should raise the car enough. After modifiying the shackles, (longer) they won't clear the sheet metal behind the shakles, more changes there, also now thw longer shackle won't clear the bumper brackets, more changes there, maybe it will effect the shock travel, and maybe the sway bar mount..... then of course 1/2 way through all this, I ran out of cutting gas..........never is as easy as it looks!!!!!
Old 07-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Glad to hear you got your brake problem fixed. As far as your rear suspension I always found it amazing that one little change would affect so many other things. Good luck with your changes.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:08 AM

Last photo:

good news; the suspension changes really helped, got a new carb...Carter 2bl from '69 Fury vintage, runs great ! At least it dii for a while, took it out for a test run today and to show off how good it was , Shut it down about 6 miles from home, wouldn't restart, had to tow it home. No spark ! I got the ECU modual and breakerless dist from a '72 Ply vintage, changed control unit, coil, still no spark. I heard now the the pickup unit in the dist goes bad ! Can't get a new dist til Fri (lifetime warrenty).............has to be at a car show Sat !!!! So, is it really worth it to use this electronic ignition stuff ????????? I'm thinking if I had regular points in it, it would be on the road already !!!!!!!!!not too happy right now, thinking of ripping it out, putting in the old stuff.................any suggestions ????/
Old 07-19-2009, 08:11 AM

Last photo:

went to a car show yesterday, put on about 100 miles, car ran great, the ride was pretty good, no breakdowns. BUT the speedometer quit working , checked it out last night I think it's just a dirty speed cup in the head itself ( I hope). Next issue is the steering....just doesn't feel right no freeplay , maybe too tight.. Have to find the correct factory method to adjust the sector.... I know with power steering it's different proceedure ?????????
Old 08-01-2009, 12:39 PM

Last photo:

still getting all the bugs out from using all these used parts ( still , total cost is about $4000 ) now the electric wipers, I was going to convert it over to the '85 (donor car) system, but I don't think there is enough room under the dash . So, as ling as the 6 volt motor appears to be usable, I think I'll just convert it to 12 volts using the proper resistor. Problem ; I don't know what size resistor,or where to get one, so I'm going to post this question in the ' electrical' section.................see what happens
Old 08-10-2009, 08:53 AM

Last photo:

I was advised when I started this project, not to use 'used' parts. Well I used 'used' parts, and lots of them. Sure, I 've had some problems from useing these 'used' parts, and eventually they have been replaced with new parts , BUT I went for a nother short ride the other day, got home., glanced at the temp gauge.... about 250 degrees !! The ' brand new temp/heat controller for the electric fan quit working !!!!!!! Luckily I had a manual back up power supply for the fan ! Sooooooooo, is it really nesseccary to build with all new parts ???? I don't think so !!!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:55 AM

Last photo:

I need a volunteer to post some pictures for me.... I can just barely send E-mail, I need someone to post them on this thread for me after I E-mail them to them .......I have some pics of how I installed my flush electric antenna, then of my headliner (another story )
Old 10-26-2009, 01:52 PM

Last photo:

electric antenna

maybe...[IMG]antenna[/IMG] [IMG]antenna[/IMG]
Old 10-27-2009, 09:30 AM

Last photo:

The End !
Old 02-02-2010, 11:49 AM

Last photo:

how to install a flush mounted electric antenna.....at least this is how I did it.........

Last edited by knighthawk; 02-03-2010 at 09:18 AM. Reason: lost my train of thought !
Old 02-03-2010, 09:15 AM

Last photo:

...let me try this...
Old 02-04-2010, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

new window 'fuzzies' IMG]http://i156.photobucket ,' baling wire' staples..
Old 02-04-2010, 10:42 AM

Last photo:

cheap and easy door panels cardboard pattern.. a little padding.....staple the fabricfinished product
Old 02-04-2010, 10:48 AM

Last photo:

while I,m here....this is the headliner I put in....very tough to do without any helpers !

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.