Hot Rod Forum banner

another chop job

134K views 373 replies 32 participants last post by  knight hawk 
#1 ·
I know there are alot of ''chop'' threads and questions, but... I'd like to know if anyone has chopped a "48 Dodge 4dr post " with suicide doors,. I did a pick up once , so I know the basics. Question is, with the center door posts, I'm assuming the top can't can't be shifted ???

#129 ·
thanks for the link.sounds like goodstuff! I did read the thing on John Deere black, couldn't find any prices at SEM ,I'm thinking cause it's John Deere it would be higher?? Just trying to decide whether to just flat primer it or put some good stuff on it that can still be spot blended later.........

#130 ·
knighthawk said:
thanks for the link.sounds like goodstuff! I did read the thing on John Deere black, couldn't find any prices at SEM ,I'm thinking cause it's John Deere it would be higher?? Just trying to decide whether to just flat primer it or put some good stuff on it that can still be spot blended later.........
Blitz Black about $25 per gallon!!!! Primer about the same. Reducer about $15 a quart. They say t can be spot blended but I have no direct experience with that. At that price you could redo a whole panel or even the whole car.

#131 ·
I like the Blitz Black, I think it would make a good finish color, and at that price ! BUT, I've been thinking again, and , that I should use some type off primer next ( flat blk ) , cause what's on it now is an epoxy primer, even thou it's 'scuffed' , I think it will bond better now with a reg primer, then when I'm 'done' , do the Blitz...............

#132 · (Edited)
I decided

I decided to use to the Blitz Black, cost is $ 27 a gallon , reducer $ 15. will pick up the paint tommorrow. Then , I think I'll go back to the front, put the engine in , and work up there for a while............mean while, I'll be thinking or planning how to finish the rear... I'll use '50 Pontiac tail lites (frenched) ...Question :what is reqired for back up lites ?.......price of quart of reducer is only about $5

#134 ·
there you go again, bringing logic in ! I think it would look alot cleaner without them, plus, there would have to be two of them, probabley in the rear filler strip, (yet to be made). Filler strip would also have the cut outs for the bumper brackets and exhaust pipes.....(also yet to be made ).........then there's the license plate thing ........trunk latch of some kind, maybe a third brake light...........on second thought... on second thought....forget the backup lite.............thanks again 'Brew'

#137 ·
knighthawk said:
OK guys, here is a picture of the '48 with John Deer ''Blitz Black''....Let me know what you think
Being logical again - I "think" you need more light for us to see it!! :D :D :D

It definetly must be very flat and very black as there is not enough reflection to see what it really looks like. But I bet it looks great. :thumbup:

How about some shots of it outside in the light.

#141 ·
actually it was really easy to paint. 1 gal black and 1 quart of reducer, I was getting worried of not having enough, but painted the jams and edges, then whole car with tack coat , then back with full wet coat, had about 2 thimbles full when I got done ! This paint really flows out good ! On one door, the spray nozzle came loose, really made a mess, even got a couple runs in it, the paint still flatten out !(except for the runs ) I'm impressed !

#143 ·
like you said, I can still repair , repaint or spot repair areas, and not be out very much money, already scratched one fender, and I have a lot of work left to do. But , at least now I can kinda get an idea of what it will look like !It's better than looking at primer or rust everyday.

#145 ·
I try to get at least, a little something done on it each day. Don't always work the way thou..What does help is, my 'shop' is this old horse barn I fixed up, just for working on 'my stuff' , and not useing the house garage. I can just leave everything lay on the floor, lock the door, start right back in tommorrow !

#148 ·
extra parts

I need some help here :when I took this engine apart, I didn't notice where all this stuff went cause I wasn't going to use it . BUT, now I need to know where this bracket goes ? It's above the power steering pump ( I think ), also a bracket that the trottle springs are attached to, as indicated by the yellow wire nut.............thanks
....................It's a ' 85 318

#151 ·
I need a radiator...was thinking of taking the measurements to the junkyard... then remembered...tranny cooler. Is there something special I need to consider when finding the correct rad ? I do have a external oil cooler on my parts shelfs from 'something' that measures about 8x18. If I used that, would it be too much to cool, if I also added the AC cond ? OR am I just thinking too hard and just go get any rad that fits ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.