Hot Rod Forum banner

another chop job

134K views 373 replies 32 participants last post by  knight hawk 
#1 ·
I know there are alot of ''chop'' threads and questions, but... I'd like to know if anyone has chopped a "48 Dodge 4dr post " with suicide doors,. I did a pick up once , so I know the basics. Question is, with the center door posts, I'm assuming the top can't can't be shifted ???

#352 ·
pics of the 'new' place, house is pretty small, built around 1934, on three acres, very nice nieghbors, 2miles from a small town, were I meet 'the boys' for morning coffee, about 2 miles from the bigger town, with both a Lowes and a Home depot. Actually, a very popular 'retirement' area, as it also has a new hospital and a V A hospital, and a bout 1000 eating places !

Attachments

#354 ·
just a quick note here....kind of update. Haven't driven it alot, been getting it out every couple weeks, I've noticed a clunk some where when I step on it ,. It kinda sounds like the front/suspension. Also, the motor (318) has some lifter noise, but as this was a''junk'' engine that decided to run, and had some rust on the cam, so I'm lucky it's still running. Maybe, I'll get to rebuild it (here on this forum ) later,like maybe in the spring.......glad to see y'all still readin this....

#356 ·
a little up date here.... not been driving it it too much, except on Friday nites, a couple times a month. The 'used' engine is getting a littl louder lifter noise, but goes away after it gets hot. Got a click in the rear suspension when you step on it or hit the right bump. I think I'm getting some 'bump steer' effect at certain speed, but I think thats cause of the change in the trosion bars setting to raise the front height more. I beleive I was off on the ride height when I built the front frame and added the torsion bars set up . The car still draws a crowd ! Was at the Veterns Days Car show here testerday.... Get this ! At the car show, a man named Phil Spain came over, looked at the car, gave me lots of compliments on the car build, he said he was a friend of and worked with George Barris. Then later, I overheard him talking a another guy I knew, and knew he was for real !!! ....P S , I got a 2nd place trophy that day

#358 ·
Because this car (and others) sit so much, and usually takes some cranking to get the the fuel up, I decided to install an electric fuel pump near the tank, to 'prime ' the system. Now, all I do is hold the button in till the pump sound changes, (pressure build up ), and 2 pumps on the throttle, starts right up ! I mounted the pump direcrtly to the metal of the body, to make sure the 'sound' is heard inside the car. An ACC wire from the fuse panel, and button under the dash....

Attachments

#368 ·
It's been a while now, since this car has been on the road, just about every Friday nite cruise in , a couple issues developed. Mainly, I'm tired of looking at the steering wheel AND seeing the original horn ring assy hanging above ,my work bench ! So, here goes ! The steering column is from the '85 5th Ave donor car, the 1st pic is the '85 steering wheel, next is a '70 something Plymouth, which is better, 3rd is the '48 wheel

Attachments

#372 ·
computer problems again........... anyway back to the steering wheel......... some more pictures.......... I used the center hub from the '85 Donor car, as that's where the column came from. Also used the outer ring from the '85, making it 2'' longer

Attachments

#374 ·
note the piece of rad hose ????? I needed a return spring for the horn ring ! The '70's steering wheel had what I would like to call, a ''reed'' switch, 2 copper blades when pressed together goes BE

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.