Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - another chop job
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Got this from knighthawk to post.

"not getting much done on the '48 , just working on the window garnish, etc. Been busy working "remodeling " the master bathroom, ( prioritys, you know ) then slipped of a 2 foot high stepladder and really hirt my knee, anyway.... thought maybe 'we' could post a couple pictures of how I did the wood graining.
thanks"

This pic shows the window frames cut down to size and re curved.

after cutting and shapeing the trim pieces, I smoothed the welds with bondo, primed, then painted it with the wood color, ( spray can enamel ) . Then take small peice of terry cloth, cause it has the 'bumps' , dip it in a can, also enamel, of black, drag off the excess on the edge of the can, then just before you apply the paint , blot it in the tape, then lightly drag it across the 'wood' colored peice. I put tape in the corners, to create the illusion of mitered corners. I think it looks better than dragging the cloth in a curve. Just do 1 side, let it dry, move the tape, do the other side. let it all dry, lightl sand it, cause the black will be higher than the brown, then cover it all with some clear, and you can sand it more and keep biulding up the clear till it's all smooth. I reccommend practicing on a pice first...... I you look back a couple postings you see what the finished product looks like........couple cans of spray paint, a small can of black ......pretty cheap !