Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - another chop job
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 10:16 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

thinkin'

when I first 'lowered' the car, I raised the rear spring schackles about 7'', by reshaping the the rear frame at the shackle mount. ( should be some pics somewhere in this thread ), figureing the axle (and wheels) would be raised 3 1/2 ''.....well that part was correct, it did lower the car, and retain all the original suspension. Problem : not enough suspension or travel clearance. Ais shocks helped, but made it too stiff. I only way to solve this ( I thought) is to section the frame rail for more bumper clearance and raise the floor pan over the drive line. As this part of the car was already done, I decided it would be easier just to lenghten the rear shackles by about 2'' , and it should raise the car enough. After modifiying the shackles, (longer) they won't clear the sheet metal behind the shakles, more changes there, also now thw longer shackle won't clear the bumper brackets, more changes there, maybe it will effect the shock travel, and maybe the sway bar mount..... then of course 1/2 way through all this, I ran out of cutting gas..........never is as easy as it looks!!!!!