Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - another chop job
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 11:11 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm in kinda a 'pickle' here.... the axle clearance is fine, the shackle re locating is fine, but, my 'theory' didn't work . Two things here I don't under stand. First, the axle clearance.... I figured, the front of the leaf spring is fixed, right ? so, if you move the other end (shackle end) 3 '' up or down , the center, which is where the axle is , would move 1/2 that, resulting in a 1 1/2'' change. Well, for some reason the axle postion ended up at 3''. Which is fine, cause now I got 6'' of clearance instead of only 3'' . And I may not have to notch the frame. BUT, I don't see where I screwed up !.....second issue, I bounce the car, to see how much axle clearance there is, trying to 'bottom out ' the springs as much as I can, like what you would do to a car to ' check the shocks'.....well It won't bounce any ! So loosen up the spring shackles nuts, figureing maybe they are too tight, don't help any, maybe the air shocks are too stiff, or too heavy duty, I take them off, still no bounce ! With all the weight on the axles, and nothe connect ed them it still won't bounce ! Can these springs, which are the original 1948 springs be that stiff ? Now that I think on it .... It does still the panhard sway bar still hooked up, wonder if I disconnect that...................