Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - another chop job
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 09:49 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You know just looking at your rear Window (in the picture) and the likely candidates for replacement-what about a 50's to early 60's VW bug rear Window (they were kinda the same shape). Also, would it be possible to just lower your rear Window instead of cutting it, or do you want that look?

With regard to when you cut your actual Roof (the one on your Dodge)-I am right in the middle of my Chop right now, and will tell you that I am not a big fan of using a Sawzall for the cuts (although I'm sure there are guys here who love them)-it's just too radical for me to finesse, so I tried every idea I could think of( air powered Hacksaw (good for the thin stuff), a regular Hacksaw (o.k., but really slow), a 3" air powered Cutoff Saw (good, but doesn't go very deep), a 7" Grinder with a Cut-off Wheel (really heavy and hard to control), and my Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinder with a thin Cut-off Wheel (the best choice for me).

I found that the Sawzall will grip and tear when going through thick stuff like Door Posts (that have multiple layers of Metal) and "B" Pillars. I used the 4 1/2" (had all of my cut lines taped and marked), went through all four corners of the Posts and it would go through about 95% of anything I had to cut like Butter, do a nice straight initial cut, then I would use the Sawzall to finish the deep stuff. I also have to lengthen the Roof, and I bought a Donor Roof to do so-

Good luck, and when I was contemplating my Chop someone here said to plan, plan, plan-I spent a tremendous amount of time in research and if nothing else I was more comfortable when I picked up a Saw (that was the scariest part for me-cutting up a perfectly good Roof).
It sounds like you are getting it figured out-there was an Article in Street Rodder about Fatman Fabrications doing a '40 Sedan (which is a little different), but they had some of the same issues you are having-you might consider reading it-it might give you some ideas.

Last edited by 35WINDOW; 01-26-2007 at 10:00 AM.