Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - another chop job
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthawk
First of all, I want to give you guys alot of credit ! It takes a lot more ''thinking'' to build a car than I realized .. My question is : how do I determin where the steering column goes ? Am referring to the right or left. I am going to have to use multiple u joints under the hood, so that won't affect it. Like , maybe put the seat in, see what feels right ? How about if I measure another vehicle ( from the horn to the window ? ).........thanks
"Like , maybe put the seat in, see what feels right ?" That is the answer. You will never get it in the correct location no matter how much you measure and guess at it. You may get it close enough but why take the chance. Get the seat you will be using (or mock something up at the right height that you will build you seat too) place your column in the car and figure out where it has to go to be comfortable to drive. Check out different angles and distances from the dash. Make sure you are using the correct diameter steering wheel as well as that will make a difference in the final placement.