Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Another custom door panel question
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 04:06 AM
Garage Filler

Last journal entry: I need more time!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970CDV
In my 1970 Coupe de Ville ive decided to toss the stock door panels and fabricate some custom ones. As far as the majority of the panel i know exactly what to do... but im still going to have one problem. i only know how to make flat panels. once mounted this will leave me with about a 2 inch gap between the top of the panel and the bottom of the window. im sure there has got to be something i can use like a thin piece of sheet metal i can bend...then seal the whole thing together. but if anyone has a better suggestion please let me know. i dont want this to turn into another nightmare.

I faced the same problem with my S-10. I ended up using the stock panel after cutting out the “lumps”. My goal was to have a flat clean looking door panel. After cutting out the undesired shapes I used ¼” masonite to fill in the gaps and make the panel flat. By using the stock panel most all the stock mounting (outer edge) points were available. There’s a picture in my Project Journal. The armrest was shaped from a piece of pine board then covered with closed cell foam and vinyl. The armrest is attached from the back with T-Nuts and 3 bolts. The door panel is covered with closed cell foam and tweed.