another foam question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011, 02:34 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

another foam question

I have read the sticky titled "bench seat from scratch". Great read, but I am having trouble understanding the foam selection. If I am reading it correct the 1st two numbers relate to quality, and the second two realate to density.
When I shop online, it almost appears the other way around....judging by the price and item description? What about HD versus HR? I know the thread is over a year old, is there a newer method for grading the stuff? Thank You, JCAR

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 06:29 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

No, the method for grading has not changed, but this subject can be awfully confusing. I simplified it when I posted that thread. The first two numbers are actually density numbers, which refers to the foam's quality, and the second two are ILD which is indent load deflection (or IFD which is indent force deflection, both of which mean the same thing), which is the ability of the foam to recover it's shape. HD is high density, and HR is high resiliency. So that means that HD foam is higher quality and HR foam returns to shape quicker. Unfortunately, some places use those two terms to mean the same thing, and they are not. There are a number of other designations, like FR which is fire retardant, CV which is conventional foam. You still need to know the ILD to know how soft or firm the foam is. If you can't figure it out, call the supplier.

I have seen some suppliers that only refer to the last two numbers, but most places use the 4 digit system. Some places do reverse the order, but that is their way of referring to their own products. They generally tell you that the foam is soft or firm.

There can be 5 digits to a number, but that would refer to an ILD of 100 or more. In other words, there can be a 26100 foam which would be medium high quality (density) and 100 ILD. The way you can tell if the numbers are reversed is if the first two numbers are over 34. As far as I know, there is no higher quality (density) number than 34.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 01-10-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:56 PM

Last photo:

Thank You, I looked it all over several times and had pretty much came to the same conclusion, but I felt it was better to ask. I am forced to order most of my supplies on-line, or the closest supply house is 60 miles. I am still building a relationship with the supply house, so I want to "know" what I am asking for and recieving while we build our trust. Thank You again, JCAR
Old 01-09-2011, 10:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAR
Thank You, I looked it all over several times and had pretty much came to the same conclusion, but I felt it was better to ask. I am forced to order most of my supplies on-line, or the closest supply house is 60 miles. I am still building a relationship with the supply house, so I want to "know" what I am asking for and recieving while we build our trust. Thank You again, JCAR
I'm in NYC and I'm in the same boat. I went to the one and only local guy and he looked at me as if I were crazy when I asked about the numbers. All he knew was "soft", "Firm" and "extra firm". I walked out. And not because of his lack of knowledge. But because if his superior foreign attitude. He deserved to be put in a meat grinder and turned into chum for the fishing boats out in Sheepshead Bay. I found what I was looking for online and now stick to that way of doing things.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

I am fortunate to have one supplier who has everything there is to have as far as foam, over 60 different kinds. They will cut any thickness, any width, and almost any length for me, in any of the different kinds of foam they carry. The best part is I can order it at 2:00 p.m. on one day and have it at 9:00 a.m. the next day.

Here are some more prefixes that you may encounter: BF is bonded foam (like carpet padding), CM is combustion modified (to meet FAA standards for use in airplanes), DF is dry fast, FL is flotation foam, HC is high comfort, NP is neoprene, PC is pin core (which is latex foam, not polyurethane), VE is visco elastic (memory foam), and VL is Volara, or closed cell foam.

All of this is only the tip of the iceberg, there are thousands of other types of polyurethane foams, and combinations of polyurethane and other substances.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 01-10-2011 at 08:04 AM.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.