another head question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 01:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

another head question

hey guys. I have a debate with my stepdad about heads for my grandfathers blower motor. the motor is a 454 with edelbrock rpm heads and a 6-71 mooney on it. I am not sure of the cam specs. anyway it just got back from the machine shop after he spun the main bearings and cracked the crank. I am not sure of the ratio he is running on the blower right now but my stepfather is telling my grandpa that he needs to switch to cast heads because he says that aluminum heads arent as durable for blower applications. I disagree cause I have yet found a cast head that will out flow the top dawg aluminum heads. Am I wrong or can you find cast heads that will? FYI my grandpa took the cheap route and put another cheap steel crank in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead454
hey guys. I have a debate with my stepdad about heads for my grandfathers blower motor. the motor is a 454 with edelbrock rpm heads and a 6-71 mooney on it. I am not sure of the cam specs. anyway it just got back from the machine shop after he spun the main bearings and cracked the crank. I am not sure of the ratio he is running on the blower right now but my stepfather is telling my grandpa that he needs to switch to cast heads because he says that aluminum heads arent as durable for blower applications. I disagree cause I have yet found a cast head that will out flow the top dawg aluminum heads. Am I wrong or can you find cast heads that will? FYI my grandpa took the cheap route and put another cheap steel crank in it.

i certainly wouldn't consider those edelbrock performer heads to be a top performer. and if you mean by top performer like a set of like DART Big M, Big Chief, or Brodix Big Duke or AFR Magnum and the higher end canfield heads then you are right you wont find any cast heads that will out performe them but you are also gong to spend 2500-4500.00 (depending on which ones and whether you opt for the CNC porting) and that is before any extra machine cost (i dont believe in "out of the box"). i would somewhat tend to agree with you as BBC's don't have quite the selection of iron heads that SBC's do but if your grandfather isn't running a ton of boost then he would likely do fine with a set of Iron eagles, or Merlin's, they can be had for under 1800.00 easy and then with some machine work they can creat just as much or more flow and velocity as some of the mid level alum heads out there for less money, and certainly better than those Eddie's (sorry not a fan of Eddie heads, great intakes but IMHO that is about it)

IMHO a set of Brodix BB-2plus or DART pro 1's for around 2200-2300ish and then with some added messaging here and there on them would be his best bet. but since you mentioned that he went with a "cheap steel crank" in there i doubt he would be willing to spend 3k on a set of heads, but you have to pay to play
Old 07-27-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my87Z
i certainly wouldn't consider those edelbrock performer heads to be a top performer. and if you mean by top performer like a set of like DART Big M, Big Chief, or Brodix Big Duke or AFR Magnum and the higher end canfield heads then you are right you wont find any cast heads that will out performe them but you are also gong to spend 2500-4500.00 (depending on which ones and whether you opt for the CNC porting) and that is before any extra machine cost (i dont believe in "out of the box"). i would somewhat tend to agree with you as BBC's don't have quite the selection of iron heads that SBC's do but if your grandfather isn't running a ton of boost then he would likely do fine with a set of Iron eagles, or Merlin's, they can be had for under 1800.00 easy and then with some machine work they can creat just as much or more flow and velocity as some of the mid level alum heads out there for less money, and certainly better than those Eddie's (sorry not a fan of Eddie heads, great intakes but IMHO that is about it)

IMHO a set of Brodix BB-2plus or DART pro 1's for around 2200-2300ish and then with some added messaging here and there on them would be his best bet. but since you mentioned that he went with a "cheap steel crank" in there i doubt he would be willing to spend 3k on a set of heads, but you have to pay to play
yeah I am not a fan of edelbrock heads either. I am gonna try to talk him into some pro 1's cause i have heard they can be worked over very nicely. if it werent for my uncle getting in the boat and racing people it probably wouldnt have pooped out. Cause the motor is in a early 70's pickle fork eliminator and my grandfather never takes it over 5k rpm but my uncle jumps in and thinks he can spin the thing to 6500 -7k. he is gonna sell the thing but we are tryin to get it running really good.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

i like the Pro 1's i am a big fan of DART heads, that is what i run on my street/stip car now. i'm also a big fan of brodix
Old 07-28-2010, 12:20 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead454
yeah I am not a fan of edelbrock heads either. I am gonna try to talk him into some pro 1's cause i have heard they can be worked over very nicely. if it werent for my uncle getting in the boat and racing people it probably wouldnt have pooped out. Cause the motor is in a early 70's pickle fork eliminator and my grandfather never takes it over 5k rpm but my uncle jumps in and thinks he can spin the thing to 6500 -7k. he is gonna sell the thing but we are tryin to get it running really good.
Sounds like Grandpa needs to take Uncle out behind the woodshed and give him a tuneup.

Let me help you out a little with nomenclature. You're using the word "cast" to indicate iron. This will get you into trouble sooner or later. Iron heads and aluminum heads are both cast, unless you are talking about Top Fuel heads that are billet. But anyway, please use either "iron" or "aluminum" when talking about heads.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Sounds like Grandpa needs to take Uncle out behind the woodshed and give him a tuneup.

Let me help you out a little with nomenclature. You're using the word "cast" to indicate iron. This will get you into trouble sooner or later. Iron heads and aluminum heads are both cast, unless you are talking about Top Fuel heads that are billet. But anyway, please use either "iron" or "aluminum" when talking about heads.
awww I see ok. I just always associated cast with iron. kinda strange cause I know that aluminum and iron are both cast. thank you for correcting me! But yes uncle needs to be corrected also! lol. easy to break things when there not yours. Now this may be a dumb question but what is the diff between billet and cast aluminum?
Old 07-28-2010, 03:34 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

A billet part starts as a solid hunk of metal from the foundry and the part is whittled out of it, usually with computer numerically controlled equipment. Fueler heads run dry, no coolant, so the ports and such can be cut according to a software program.

A cast head results from pouring liquid material into a mold, letting the material cool and removing the part from the mold. Finish machining would add valve seats, guides, drill and tap for rocker studs, cutting of the surface for flatness, etc.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

To further answer your original question, iron heads would be stronger if they were cast identically to the aluminum heads, but typically aluminum heads might be cast with deck surfaces 2-3x as thick as iron heads which usually makes up for it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.