Another "Help me pick a carb" thread - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2013, 08:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Another "Help me pick a carb" thread

I know there's probably a million of these, but hey every car is different.

Right now I have a 1980 Firebird. Engine is a Chevy 350 bored .60 over with 041 heads that have 2.02 1.6 valves and have been ported. Cam is an Elgin with what I think is a 488/508 lift, but the crappy part is I have no idea of the duration. Intake is an Edelbrock Performer RPM. Compression is around 9:5 so I can run it on pump gas.

Trans is an auto th350. Rear end is a 10 bolt posi 3.42. Car weighs about 3,700lbs with lots of suspension mods to make it handle like a modern car.

Right now I have an Edelbrock 650cfm. Just a bottom line plain carb. It stumbles a bit off the line. I want to just get a whole new carb and I want a Holley. I was told a Holley 750 Double Pumper with mech. secondaries would be the best for power. Which is what I want, who doesn't? But the car is really just meant to be a fun street car and I also want driveability so I was thinking about a Street Avenger. Gas mileage isn't too much of a concern because if I was worried about that I would just get a Honda.

So Double Pumper vs Street Avenger for max power, throttle response and driveability? What cfm for my setup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 08:40 PM

I dont like S.A. carbs.If you want a double pumper ,,,a 650 or 750 is a great carb.It takes a little tuning and most dont have a choke.

maybe buy a kit and tune the 650 you have?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

I agree with Vinnie, everything I have heard about the SA carbs is not great with big duration cams, which at 234/244 @.50 yours is.
Its a heavy car with not alot of gear, so conventional wisdom would say a 750VS would be the way to go.
But there's more too it then that, you mentioned a bunch of suspension to make it handle, so i don't suspect it has the usual 275DR out back.
If its set up to handle lets say it has a 275/40 17 on it, a fairly standard F-body performance size vs a street strip tire (DR) say 275/60 15
So now your effectively adding gear to it by using a short (25.66) tire
instead of the 28" drag radial.
add a 3000stall which you likely have or need for that cam, and now I believe a 750DP is the way to go.
Of course I think and assume way too much occasionally.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:44 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valtiel43 View Post
I know there's probably a million of these, but hey every car is different.

Right now I have a 1980 Firebird. Engine is a Chevy 350 bored .60 over with 041 heads that have 2.02 1.6 valves and have been ported. Cam is an Elgin with what I think is a 488/508 lift, but the crappy part is I have no idea of the duration. Intake is an Edelbrock Performer RPM. Compression is around 9:5 so I can run it on pump gas.

Trans is an auto th350. Rear end is a 10 bolt posi 3.42. Car weighs about 3,700lbs with lots of suspension mods to make it handle like a modern car.

Right now I have an Edelbrock 650cfm. Just a bottom line plain carb. It stumbles a bit off the line. I want to just get a whole new carb and I want a Holley. I was told a Holley 750 Double Pumper with mech. secondaries would be the best for power. Which is what I want, who doesn't? But the car is really just meant to be a fun street car and I also want driveability so I was thinking about a Street Avenger. Gas mileage isn't too much of a concern because if I was worried about that I would just get a Honda.

So Double Pumper vs Street Avenger for max power, throttle response and driveability? What cfm for my setup?
The carb needs to meet some expectation of engine power, so you really need the cam specs and some reality about what the compression ratio is both the static and the dynamic.

My first cut at these things is for an 350 making less than 350 horses a 650 CFM will suffice and a 750 is overkill, this should be a vacuum seconday type. For a 350 making above 350 horses a 750 is needed. Between 350 and 380 horse the vacuum seconday is fine, from 390 on up a mechanical secondary.

I have no probem with the SA for a hot street engine it brings some nice toys to the game with real metering blocks front and rear, center mount floats, vacuum secondaries, 4 corner idle, and a choke. whether this is max power or not I don't know that depends a lot on how you use it and the installation; but this carb goes a long way to bridge the needs of a street engine while giving the flexability and some nicer features of a competition carb's adjustability.

Bogie
Old 05-24-2013, 04:01 PM

Last photo:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...50vs/overview/

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.