Another masking query - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2007, 02:44 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Another masking query

intend masking the jambs hood etc once I have top-coated the insides including under the hood.
When painting the jambs do I apply the masking tape to the outside of the panels then pull the edge back to expose the sticky side to feather the edge? then.

When spraying in the booth for the outside I apply the tape to the inside painted edges prior to painting.

I,m using hystik brand masking tape is this good stuff?

I guess the tape can withstand the booth temperatures without the adhesive causing problems?

How do I prevent the tape closing up while spraying or baking?

When do I remove the tape?

Is it to cover up all the prepainted panels engine bay etc to prevent over-spray?

Is the film or paper better for over-spray and can I both been baked?

Just a bit confused.

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2007, 10:48 AM

Last journal entry: '50 Chevy pickup
Last photo:

Masking

I've done it that way before. You must already be satisfied with the finish on your jambs, so you're safe masking the jamb with the tape edge pulled away. There is a 3M producs that is rope-like for this purpose, maybe it's the one you mentioned.

I've found success by painting this way (with the door not completely closed, if possible) and then as soon as I have adequate coverage I open the door and pull my tape off. Be prepared at that time to take a bit of medium or slow reducer in your gun (or a small detail gun) and fog in the paint edge where you had the tape pulled away. This tends to melt in the dry, granuated paint edge and if you have a nice touch and a good eye you won't be able to detect the seam later.

For my most striking door jambs, like the broad C3 Corvette jambs, I've painted them with the hardware removed and as though they were a part of the exterior body panel - no masking. This doesn't work easily with metallic colors or pearls or mica, but is beautiful and requires no effort to correct later if you are spraying an opaque color. You may want to try a tip an old timer gave me regarding dust control: Assuming you are painting in a clean booth with a wet floor, take a length of chain and sling one end over a suspension A-arm so that both ends lay on the wet floor. After tacking off the body, you charge it with static electricity and the chain acts as a ground and minimizes the dust magnet effect. Best of luck to you.

Duggeroo
Old 12-20-2007, 10:59 AM

Last journal entry: '50 Chevy pickup
Last photo:

Masking

Post Script: I like to use a plastic drop cloth to mask the engine bay. The very thin mil type. It goes in every nook and cranny, tapes securely and you can pull it snug. The only down side is that once the paint film (overspray) dries on the plastic, then if you hit it directly with the blast from the spray gun it may ripple and some of the thicker film may fly off onto the area directly in front of the driver's windshield or above the driver's door, where you see the flaw every time you are in the car.

Don't bake the car with tape still on. It will not allow the paint edge to flow and may bake the adhesive pattern into the finish. Generally, if you have any paint edge (where you are masking a previously painted panel) you need to remove the tape as soon as you are through spraying. I usually finish, let the booth clear so I can inspect the job, then I'm removing tape before I even leave the booth.

It's almost impossible to remove, hide a solid tape edge. Even if you sand and buff, you're usually against a curved edge or other area where you'll surely sand through. Then you stand back and realize that the paint colors don't match at the paint edge. To repeat: remove tape and fog reducer on the paint edge. Be aware that after fogging it won't immediately blend but may take 10 minutes or more to loosen up, so you don't want to hurry it and risk a sag or run.

Duggeroo
Old 12-21-2007, 12:10 PM

The 3M product is called door aperture tape it is round foam with tape down one edge of it . this stuff is great youll love it , it is kinda pricey though but you get fantastic results none the less. Im sure i spelled the name wrong, but most people refer to it as dart. good luck

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.