Another Motorcraft 2100 question. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2011, 04:05 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Intake

Well I see what my problem partly could have been here.
I had the engine rebuilt back in Sept, when I installed it back in the car, I used the same setup as what was on the engine. The Edelbrock Performer 531-ZV and the Edelbrock 600 carb,but used regular parts store gaskets. I took off the 600 carb and put on the 2100 2brrl carb with the 4 to 2 spacer and this is when I started having problems.
Tomorrow when I put on the stock intake with the 2100 car then I will see how she runs.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 04:12 PM

Last photo:

intake

Sorry I should have said "Edelbrock Performer 351-4V".
Old 05-18-2011, 06:59 PM

Last photo:

Intake

Cobalt327, Well installed the 351c intake everything is running. Car started right up. The engine is idling high and I have did everything I know to get it to idle down. Can't find any vac leak, timing is right. When I turn in the fuel air screws there is no difference in idle I turned both screws out to 2 turns still high idle.
It idles in park at 1500 rpms and in drive at 1000 rpms. My understanding is it should idle in park at 1000 rpms and in drive 500 600 rpms.
It seems when I take off the distributor vac it idles down to 1000 rpms. Is there a problem with the distributor?
Old 05-18-2011, 07:30 PM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

I think this has been mentioned but it sounds like the butterflys are open a little or you have a vacuum leak. The idle mix won't respond under either of those conditions.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

Ok I will check again for a vac leak
Old 05-19-2011, 05:15 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcron
Ok I will check again for a vac leak
If there are no vacuum leaks, if the curb idle screw is not contacting the linkage and the idle is still too high you need to look at the choke fast idle cam to see if the adjustment screw is touching the fast idle cam. You will need to study the operation of the choke, fast idle cam and the linkages to understand how they work together to hold the idle high. The fast idle cam should only be keeping the idle high when the choke is closed or partially closed- but if there's any binding, the cam can still be engaged to a fast idle even w/the choke completely open.

Something else- if you turn the idle mixture screws all the way in, does the engine slow or stall? It should. If it doesn't slow or stall that's a sign that there is air/fuel entering the engine from elsewhere. The first thought is the throttle blades are open too far, allowing the engine to get air/fuel from the transition circuit, not primarily from the idle circuit as it should.

Let us know what you find. If you stick w/it, we will too. There IS a resolution to this.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:20 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for sticking with me.
The choke fast idle cam screw is ok it too was not touching as I was trying to figure this out. AS I said, this is a rebuild I got from Advance auto. I did not have this problem with the carb I took off. I m thinking a bad rebuild so I am going to take it back and exchange it.
OK let me explain this too you and you tell me what I need to do please.

As I said, I put the stock 2 brrl intake on yesterday, and I was going to put on my old carb and as I was doing so today, I noticed that when it is on, and I open the throttle, the bottom butterflies do not open all the way. They hit the intake manifold. Know what do I need here. When I used this old carb it was on a spacer on top of the Eldebrook.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:26 AM

Last photo:

Oh yes forgot to say, Last night when I was running the engine, I did here a hissing coming out of the top of the carb. Maybe it is sucking air from inside????
Old 05-19-2011, 07:50 AM
WFO

Last photo:

There sure could be an internal vacuum leak. Hard to tell over the internet what kind of noise of vacuum you're hearing is connected to a problem or is normal, but generally speaking, there's "bad" sucking sounds that are different than what's normally heard, and if you are experienced enough to know what you're hearing is abnormal- well, there's a problem.

The carb can be installed w/a 1/4"-3/8" thick "insulator-type" gasket between the carb and intake. This will usually keep anything from interfering w/the opening of the throttle blades.

So, the fast idle screw isn't on the fast idle cam and the idle screw isn't touching the linkage, right?

If that's the case, is there a chance the throttle blades are hanging open because of interference w/the throttle plate of the carb, or are the blades closing as they should, as in tightly to the throttle plate bore w/the screw all the way away from the linkage? You will need to remove the carb to tell, most likely.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:29 AM

Last photo:

Well Cobalt, I know that before I changed to the new carb, I did not have the fast idle problem so there were no leaks until I switched to the rebuilt carb. So I have to think it is the carb.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:32 AM
WFO

Last photo:

That would seem to make sense. Any chance you can return the "new" carb, at least for a credit or replacement? If I were you, I'd be thinking about bailing on the "new" carb and possibly diving in and rebuilding the old carb. What was the problem w/the old carb, anyway?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:40 AM

Last photo:

Yeah already took it back got my money back and will build old carb.
Stay tuned for end results. Will let you know.

Hey just thought of something esle maybe you can help me with.
When I put on the 2brrl I found that the kick down arm from the tranny does not line up with the throttle hole. It is like maybe 3/8 or a little more short.
Do you think someone did something to it? I got the car with the 4brrl and intake (Eldebrock) on it so not sure if it was changed or what. Is there an adjustment on the kick down?
Old 05-19-2011, 03:14 PM
WFO

Last photo:

No idea what tranny you have. If you have a Mustang w/a C4- http://realperformancemustangs.com/g...transmissions/. Otherwise google it, or maybe we can help if you supply the info.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:00 PM

Last photo:

I m thinking someone bent it to fit the 4 brrl Eldebrock
Old 05-26-2011, 05:03 AM

Last photo:

Hey cobalt327, Well as I said took the rebuilt Carb back, picked up another rebuilt Motorcraft, put it on found I had a problem. It was sucking air from the base where it bolted to the spacer I had on the intake. Took off the spacer double gasket between the intake and carb. Made a few adjustments and timed the engine and wolla, the engine purrs like a kitten on cat nip.
Thanks so very much for your help I learned a lot about carbs by missing with this.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.