Another Mustang II Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2003, 06:21 AM
Truck - '49...Driver - '47

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Arrow Another Mustang II Question

I've looked in the knowledge base and searched the bulletin board and can't find any information about replacing lower ball joints.
I have a '49 Chevy pickup 350/350 with Mustang II front end. This weekend I plan to replace the lower ball joint on the passenger side, I plan to rebuild the whole front end soon but can't afford to right now.
My question is: How is that ball joint held in? I've never done ball joints before. I have a spring compressor and a pickle fork. Is there any other "special" tools that I will need?
Thanks in advance for any help and information.
Ed

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2003, 09:32 AM

Hi-

If it's an original ball joint then it's riveted on. Just grind the rivets off and punch them out with a drift punch after the ball joint is removed. You can actually use the weight of the vehicle "spring pressure to pop the lower ball joint from the spindle. Just loosen the nut a few turns and tap the side of the spindle where the ball joint goes through the spindle and the shock of the blow plus the pressure of the spring will pop the ball joint free. The replacement ball joint is bolted back on with the supplied bolts.

Joe
Old 06-26-2003, 08:38 PM
It is now Saturday, everyday!!

Last journal entry: Project '57 Ranchero
Last photo:

I'm not sure the arrangement on a Mustang II but can only guess there is the opportunity for the spring to get loose when releasing any compressed spring energy. I run a chain through the coil spring and A-arms with a bolt through a couple of links as a safety issue. It feels better knowing it will stay in place after the "Pop!" Good luck, r
Old 06-26-2003, 09:59 PM

Yeah I guess I should explain all the steps involved a little further.

You will raise the vehicle as high as the jack stand will allow and place two jack stands under the frame. Then lower the jack so the vehicle is resting on the jack stands. Now remove the tire, brake caliper, and spindle nut to remove the rotor so you can have better access to the lower ball joint. Now place the floor jack under the a-arm so and leave the shock in place "if it's in the stock location the shock will go up through the center of the coil spring and this will keep it from popping out when you break the lower ball joint loose". You can use an external spring compressor on the coil spring for added precaution if you like....wouldn't hurt to be extra safe. With the floor jack under the lower a-arm and raised up slightly to compress the coil spring, remove the cotter pin from the lower control arm and loosen the ball joint nut say 2 turns. I normally just leave the floor jack just under the a-arm "the spring not compressed" so when I tap the side of the spindle where the ball joint goes through the spindle the force of the blow and the added spring pressure will help pop the ball joint free of the spindle". If you have a pickle fork use it to break the taper. With the floor jack raise to compress the spring, the spring is secured in the upper tower pocket and the jack is keeping it secure so you can raise the spindle and upper a-arm once the lower ball joint nut is removed and tie it out of the way while you grind off the rivets on the lower ball joint. When the old ball joint is removed and the rivets driven out of the lower control arm, you can bolt in the new replacement ball joint and assemble in reverse order. I almost forgot that you'll want to remove the tie rod end from the spindle to help raise the spindle and upper a-arm out of the way while you work on the lower ball joint.

Joe
Old 06-26-2003, 10:14 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the input Guys. Joe, after your explanation it shouldn't be a problem. I was thinking that if I left the shock in it would work as a safety catch for the spring. I think I'll use the spring compressor too since this is my first time.

Again, Thanks alot!
Ed

Last edited by hiimed; 06-26-2003 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:43 PM

Last photo:

I replaced my ball joint this morning. Joe, you made it too easy. It went exactly like you said. I didn't even need my spring compressor. I also replaced my stabilizer bushings. You'd think that in a city the size of Phoenix it would be easy to find stabilizer bushings. I wound up going to the NAPA main warehouse and got the last two sets that they had. I've still got a "clunk" that I can feel more than hear on the passengers side. I'll find it eventually.

Thanks again
Ed
Old 06-30-2003, 12:13 AM

Hi Ed,

Glad I could help!

When do you hear the clunking sound......On acceleration, braking, cornering?

Joe
Old 06-30-2003, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

Joe-
I hear the clunking sound mostly when I'm cornering. when I drive straight and zig-zag back and forth it will sometimes do it. I've laid under the front and had my wife run the steering from lock to lock and haven't seen anything that doesn't look right. The shocks look OK from what I can see.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.