Another Newby Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2005, 06:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Another Newby Question

I've found my next project car!! I've been looking for one ever since I finished my V8-Sonoma daily-driver little trucky!!!

OK...Its a 1971 Nova with a very straight body, but a totally shot interior and paint, and bad drivetrain. I know it is going to take me months (years!!) to do this one and I am concerned about the shot paint as it will not be garaged most of the time. I want to stop the mild surface rust but I do not want to screw up an eventual nice paintjob (not show quality but nice cruising quality). I am assuming the best thing is to take it back down to bare metal, but then what? Is there a rust preventive primer that can sit outside for a long period of time? At the same time, it would be nice if it was compatible with paint, but I can live with having to take it down again before the real paintjob. Do any of these rattle-can primers do this sort of thing?

Thanks very much for your advice!

Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2005, 07:18 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

Leave it how it is for now. If you put some Rustmort in a spray bottle you can spritz rust for now. It will stop rust from growing for years until you can deal with it proper. Then take on one panel at a time . It's a big mistake to just rip everything off at once but some need to learn by doing. Any kind of primer on top of rust is a formula for disaster.
Primer is for priming and is not a rust treatmeant..

Last edited by milo; 12-30-2005 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:09 PM

I can tell you what I have done . I don't know how much rust you have but.
I would use a wire brush to remove all loose rust and just shoot a couple of coats of Zero rust on it. When your ready you will have to remove it though.
But it will hold up very well. I have a spare 48 ford PU cab that I will be selling soon. I have sprayed it with zero rust and sell it just like that.
It is a little more work but it will hold the rust off. No doubt this isnt the norm but works for me. Ricco
Old 12-31-2005, 10:03 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman123
I am assuming the best thing is to take it back down to bare metal, but then what? Is there a rust preventive primer that can sit outside for a long period of time? At the same time, it would be nice if it was compatible with paint, but I can live with having to take it down again before the real paintjob. Do any of these rattle-can primers do this sort of thing?

Thanks very much for your advice!

Dave
Rattle can primers are garbage and all other primers are not moisture barriers except for epoxy.
If you want to remove that rust now and go to bare metal, use epoxy primer. Epoxy primer over bare metal is the best way to go regardless.
It will hold up over time if not left in the sun. You will not have to re-do it later. You say outside but will it be under a carport? If you have to leave the car in the sun over time, do as the other poster said and do not strip it yet but do try to keep it as dry and out of the sun as much as possible. Sun and elements are just going to make it worse. Don't cover it with any kind of tarp or plastic as you will trap moisture underneath.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:18 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

another couple years setting is not going to kill it. save your money and get everything done and then blow it apart and blast and paint it.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:44 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that Rust-Mort stuff if I can find it.

Happy New Year Folks!!

Dave

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.