ANOTHER overheating issue... - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 07:50 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRSleeper2
As far as shooting water thru rad... it is just me... I would have to find someone tomorrow.

Can't find my damn sprayer... and I am guessing a solid spray of water out of the hose would not serve the purpose... I am gonna search some more.
You just need the hose turned on between 1/4-3/8 turn. A little more then a trickle is better. If the water blows back out at you, you have the reverse rotation fan clutch fan. Place it at the hottest side, and slowly move it to the coolest side. Before each movement look at your gauge.

I have a 2 Liter bottle with 5, 3/32" holes drilled in the cap. I use this for A/C performance checks primarily, but it can be used for cooling issues, but you have to be quick on your feet. LOL

A water hose is better for checking cooling issues, as the more water the better, when diagnosing over heating problems.

It can be done by one person, but it is better to have a second set of eyeballs on the gauge/hose/help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2008, 08:06 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

If the 'blocked off' water port is in the rear of the intake gasket, with no heater core outlet hooked up, it will heat up.

I forgot about this one.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:07 PM

Last journal entry: not a big fan of cherry picker...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ok... I did the water test... did not effect the temp at all... and I had a serious spray of water on it... it leveled off after the thermo opened. I took it down the street and did not get 300 feet and the temp went up. So I back down the street and park it in the garage. I open the hood and I hear gargling... which would be normal for a hot cooling system but it seemed like it was coming from the intake... pull the air cleaner and it seems like it coming from down in the carb... could that be gas boiling off? Or could I I have an intake leak... there is smoke coming out of exhaust but no water in the oil so I thought condesation as the exhaust is brand new and it is damp and cold here.

As far as the port being blocked off I am 90% sure that it is the last one in the head and intake closest front of the motor on the passanger side... I used a specific gm intake gasket as required with the 882 heads with canted center bolts.

Gonna go out and unbury old intake to see what port was blocked.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:09 PM
406 Caprice:Rust Never Sleeps!

BR2;Perhaps a piece of paper can accomplish the fan pull/push test for you. A couple small pieces of tape (just to temporarily hold it in place while you walk to the keyswitch to start the car) and put it up against front of AC condensor (or the radiator if you have no ac condensor). If you start it and run it up to 1500 or so (like a high "fast idle") it should suck the paper up against it if it's pulling, whereas if pushing should blow the paper off. This you should be able to accomplish test without a 2nd person. That might permit you to still test tonight. Don't know if this will help you or not, but it came to mind as a possible approach. ( My suspicions would still lean towards an actual "coolant circulation" problem though, with what information you gave so far.) Anyway;good luck.-Jim.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:20 PM

Just saw your latest post. You put it up while I was typing last response of mine. Perhaps I, and others, should wait while you check for certain what was blocked off. Beginning to sound like you'll be pulling the intake and quite possibly the heads, although, for your sake, I'm hoping that won't be the case. Am I to understand correctly that this is 1988 model 350 and the heads are 1970's 882 (76cc) smogger castings as used on the old 400's? Or did I miss something along the way and get confused? (as I am sometimes prone to doing!) I'm trying to keep the info sorted-out in my own mind as to what the actual combination of parts is, and what has been exchanged/replaced.-Jim.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:20 PM

Last photo:

NAL-10159409 This is the summit part number of the intake gaskets.

and here is a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nal-10159409_w.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	32981  
Old 09-30-2008, 08:25 PM

Last photo:

The heads are stock on the 88 GMC 350... It was a NYS thruway vehicle that they replaced the motor with a genuine GM replacement motor.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I am 90% sure that it is the last one in the head and intake closest front of the motor on the passanger side
I believe, (and I could be wrong on this, so anyone else that can clarify it please jump in), the blocked-off end SHOULD be at the rear on both sides, as many SBC intake manifolds don't use a "rear water-crossover passage". (Because mine's a 400 I bought a Cyclone Plus+ specifically because it DOES have that provision). I therefore believe that FRONT coolant ports should be unblocked on both sides. Again, it's been awhile since I had mine apart, so I could be wrong on this, but someone else on this forum should be able to verify or refute this. (Guess I'm having that "brain-fart" syndrome again. -Jim
Old 09-30-2008, 08:45 PM

Last photo:

I am failing to recall if it was front or back... But if it is thought this is my issue I will pull that intake in a head beat. Can I reuse intake gaskets? as I ordered the last pair from summit... I remember it being specific from edelbrock to use those gaskets. Can I find these at an autozone?
Old 09-30-2008, 08:51 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

Quote:
Ok... I did the water test... did not effect the temp at all... and I had a serious spray of water on it... it leveled off after the thermo opened. I took it down the street and did not get 300 feet and the temp went up. So I back down the street and park it in the garage. I open the hood and I hear gargling... which would be normal for a hot cooling system but it seemed like it was coming from the intake... pull the air cleaner and it seems like it coming from down in the carb... could that be gas boiling off? Or could I I have an intake leak... there is smoke coming out of exhaust but no water in the oil so I thought condesation as the exhaust is brand new and it is damp and cold here.

As far as the port being blocked off I am 90% sure that it is the last one in the head and intake closest front of the motor on the passanger side... I used a specific gm intake gasket as required with the 882 heads with canted center bolts.

Gonna go out and unbury old intake to see what port was blocked.
Your intake, and carb combination should work just fine, stock right out of the box.

I keep thinking it is a coolant 'flow' problem. Maybe a problem between the engine, and radiator. This could be a reverse coolant flow engine, and V belt matchup problem.

You might need to switch to the serpentine belt system to correct this.

I will need to think on this problem. It makes no sense to me, to be over heating, no matter which way the water pump rotates(as long as you have the correct one by application) Do you have a engine gasket problem?

Think Think Think..................I'm getting sleepy, Think Think Think
Old 09-30-2008, 08:56 PM

So far as re-using intake gaskets, generally not a good idea. So far as which is correct gasket set, refer to application manual(s). Regarding wether or not I am correct about info. I gave in last post, let's wait and see what the other members have to say about it, to be certain I didn't have that brain-fart, and possibly give erroneous info. Plus, I'm not so up on the newer reverse-rotation system, as my 89 Caprice w/ 305TBI has the serpentine system and has only needed the pump so far. (Haven't had occasion to pull intake for any reason yet, or even the valvecovers yet for that matter!). There may be something that I am missing, due to lack of familiarity with the differences in the older/newer systems (std./reverse rotation). So... let's see what the others say as to my theory, and if there's something else that should be addressed. -Jim
Old 09-30-2008, 09:03 PM

Last photo:

Well thank you for the input J.D.... all input is appreciated... AND THANK YOU TO EVERYONE who is helping and not getting too frustrated with me... Carsavvy think I should pull that intake and check to make sure I did not put those gaskets on wrong? I am gonna wait till tomorrow to pull and thing else apart... But I will be on it tomorrow.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:08 PM

BR2/CarSavvy;I'm not positive about '88, but my '89 305TBI IS reverse flow. (Remembered that just before I was going to replace the pump with an old spare from the carb'd. '86 305 that was original to the (now) 406!) Must say that the serpentine system is much easier to work on!
I'd better let those with more knowledge of the differences between the two systems offer up the additional info, as I'm not really aware of what OTHER differences there were in the systems, besides direction of rotation on pump and fan. Would certainly benefit me to know the specifics of the differences as well, since I own one of each type!-Jim.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:10 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

Quote:
I am failing to recall if it was front or back... But if it is thought this is my issue I will pull that intake in a head beat. Can I reuse intake gaskets? as I ordered the last pair from summit... I remember it being specific from edelbrock to use those gaskets. Can I find these at an autozone?
Those gaskets are going to have to installed by looking at the intake manifold directly. If it does not have an open port to the rear, both open ports need to be installed to the front.

And no I would not use them over again.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:22 PM

I'm sure the others on here will also post some more detailed info. as well, so check back and I'm sure you'll get the definitive answers you need. I've gotten to the end of my reasoning on this one, so I'll be picking up new knowledge from this point on myself, (which is always a good thing, since my '89 will be needing further attention before long).
Have a good rest of the evening guys. -Jim

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.