Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Another puzzling brake issue
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My '98 Dakota had stuck calipers in the front. This started after having a "shop" remove the lowering kit I put on it (right after buying it new) due to my bad back. Right after, we went for a drive and after returning, smelled what I thought was burning wires. Wife saw smoke coming from the RF wheel and the wheel was too hot to touch. Found one caliper bolt was stripped causing the caliper to c0ck and lock against the rotor (I thought?). Fixed that with an oversized bolt and all was good. A month later, we made a 250 mile round trip and halfway there, the other side did the same thing. Went to another shop and the guys found the LF caliper not releasing, but couldn't find a reason for it other than dirty fluid (both bolts were fine). They sanded the pads and we got home without further trouble. After changing the pads, calipers and resurfacing the rotors, I flushed 2 QTs of fluid through the entire system and it all seems to be working properly for now. Bottom line: check the fluid quality, mine was filthy with black gritty "stuff"...

Russ