Another Saab story... but it was free - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2006, 07:15 PM
Caprice/Camaro/BMW

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Another Saab story... but it was free

I have recently obtained a free 1993 Saab 9000 CSE w/ 2.3L turbo, automatic with 239,000 miles. I know, I'd like to shoot it in the ground too but its in such great condition for such high mileage.

The problem with the engine is it stays at a rough low idle. Below 500 is what it looks like on the tach. I try to give it gas like a quick tap and shuts off. If I lightly press it down, it'll go up the way I want. I hold the gas at about 1,000 rpm and it sounds like its running fine... except it won't idle. I noticed a vacuum nipple exposed on top of the intake, after the throttle body. I try covering it with my finger and it drops a bit more in rpms but surprisingly it doesn't die. I try connecting a rubber hose that looks like ir plugs in to it and it still drops in rpms... the hose only goes to the crankcase breather or it looks like it.

I also have transmission issues as well (labelled as Just another Saab story... freebie though). It looks great inside and out, its just ADR = aint doin right. So can you help me again? If I can snag my brother's camera, I'll take a pic of that vacuum line and nipple I was talkin about.

Last edited by ViperMonster800; 04-24-2006 at 07:25 PM. Reason: wrong wording
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2006, 10:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Another Saab story... but it was free

If you are going to keep this car or if you want to fix it up and flip it you would do well to purchase a manual for the car. That way you will be on top of all the things that need fixing - after all the car cost nothing and the cost of the manual will pay itself back big time.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

http://www.thesaabsite.com/

I have a '95 that I got for free. It had a broken timing belt and two heads worth of bent valves but $400 and a couple weekends of labor later I have a pretty nice "winter beater" . The website above has lots of good info.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:05 AM
Caprice/Camaro/BMW

Last photo:

Well its already a winter beater, all that comes out of the dash is heat. But I don't have a V6.

What does it sound like my problem is? Any idea? No clue where the vacuum line is for that nipple on top of my intake?
Old 04-25-2006, 07:07 AM
Caprice/Camaro/BMW

Last photo:

I personally want to make money off of it, since the value is pretty high.

I would probably find someone willing to buy it for a good price and buy another parts car for less with a manual and then have a nice Saab to drive around.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:14 AM
Caprice/Camaro/BMW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineczar
http://www.thesaabsite.com/

I have a '95 that I got for free. It had a broken timing belt and two heads worth of bent valves but $400 and a couple weekends of labor later I have a pretty nice "winter beater" . The website above has lots of good info.
I checked out theSaabSite, it was really good information. My question is, does this link say what is going on with my car? Turbo bypass failure It really sounds close to what my car is doing. Give me some input. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Tough to say if that's your problem. Did you try the vacuum test they mention? Also I found the prices off that site to be on the high side. When I re-did my Saab I bought my parts from

http://www.eeuroparts.com/home.aspx

I found their prices to be about the best around.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:01 AM
Caprice/Camaro/BMW

Last photo:

Please Help

I know this engine has some potential, I just don't know where to start. Can someone please tell me whats wrong with this? Should I spray choke cleaner all over until the engine kicks up?
Old 05-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Caprice/Camaro/BMW

Last photo:

Spark plug check

I just checked the spark plugs and I have oil on the threads of the #4 spark plug...besides the fact that all of the "Champion" spark plugs were covered in black. So I've come to a conclusion that apparently I'm burning oil. I will replace the head gasket, if I ever find time to do it anything.

Also, when I took off the direct ignition module, the #4 spark plug shaft/boot fell off! I pick it up and it has electrical tape around it! WHAT KIND OF IDIOT WOULD ATTEMPT TO FIX THAT!? I'm surprised I have any spark at all. Jeez. That'll be a huge hole in my wallet to replace that.

Last edited by ViperMonster800; 05-01-2006 at 11:44 AM. Reason: wrong URL picture

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.