another stall question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2006, 07:56 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

another stall question

Yet another stall question, I swapped my convertor to a 2800 stall and it got sluggish with my 3.00 rear, then I put in a 3.80 rear and it feels better but doesnt seem to have the torque that it used to. would I benefit from putting my stock convertor in so I can get my low end torque back? or do think it would kill me. with my 3.00 gear and stock convertor it would bog if it hooked and light em up if it didnt. with the stall it wouldnt spin em at all. went with the 3.80 and now it spins em and hooks well but it seems like it is missing half of its power band? thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2006, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

Have you done any empirical testing? The butt dyno isn't usually very accurate. What led you to swap the converter and gears?
Old 01-06-2006, 09:31 AM

Last photo:

I initially swapped it out because on the dyno I was getting 298-310 hp and 420-450 tq. but at the track I was turning a 15 flat at my best run which I felt I could do better. and I was as I said either spinning the wheels forever or bogging down because my gear was to tall when I did get it to hook up. after changing out the gears and the stall I am gettin about a 14.3 on the track. but It still feels like im loosing out on some of my power band. unfortunatly I dont have cheap acces to a dyno to test it again. plus I dont particulalry like changing the convertor (NO FUN). so I just want to make sure I get the most out of my power. my redline is 5k and with the 2800 stall its redlining fast and of course with my c4 and a 3.80 gear im topping out at around 100. I know the stall has nothing to do with that though. this is also a mostly street/show car with the occasional track race and a few country road races. so I was thinking of going back to my stock convertor to get some of my low end torque back. what do ya think???
Old 01-06-2006, 10:05 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Did you talk to the converter supplier about your combination? It sounds to me like your engine may be overpowering the converter. The "stall" rating on a converter is pretty general and is based on a given torque input. If your engine is putting out more torque then the converter was rated with it will spin it past it's advertised stall. You may be spinning it up to 3000RPM or more before it starts to "work". Your stock converter would probably work better but you need to talk to a converter manufacturer and get their input. They may recommend something smaller like an 18-2200 stall to get you what the engine needs.
The best advice anyone can get about converters comes straight from the manufacturer. They will ask you a slew of questions about your combination right down to the jet sizes you are running in your carb. It is ALL relative and it all effects the final stall number...
Mark

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.