Another sub fram question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008, 11:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Another sub fram question

Hi all
I have been searching the threads for info on a suspension swap for a 50 Chevy truck. I did see the 53 Chevy monte carlo swap thread. However i did not see any 48- 54 with a swap . I saw a lot of 55 and up but if i am correct these are wider on front than the 48 to 54.

I have my sights on two donor cars for my swap and would like some advise on the best one to choose. The one is a 84 cutlass 4 door and the other is a 77 volare station wagon.

I am concerned about tires rubbing are these to wide for the early 50s chevy truck? Any help is welcomed Thank You.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2008, 07:08 AM

Last journal entry: 1954 Chevy Truck Project
Last photo:

I guess I do not understand your problem. You found one for a 53 but not for a 48-54? Same thing. There are plenty of threads covering this topic. Here is one that has links to several others which you might find helpful.

sub-frames for 51 chevy trucks

The Volare has been done before but has its own set of issues that must be resolved. The 84 Cutlass is a G body which I have done and do not recommend as there are better options.

I found this link using an advance search for "front suspension" so it this one does not hit the mark for you there are others you can research.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:27 PM

deacons chevy

Thank you for the links i did read up on them and got lots of info. My bad on 53 it should have read 55 and up.

Still haven't made up my mind on the donor cars. I really would like to put a volare front clip. But have read a thread that says a Mus2 cross-member and some stock parts workout.

What kind of donor car would i look for to use the stock suspension on mustang 2 cross-member, thinking about the steering and column change, power brakes i could pick up if i found the right donor car.

If you could help out would appreciate, Do you have any pic. on your sub job

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.