Another V8 Bug Build....with a Turbo - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 08:41 PM

Last journal entry: Gunked up 454 water jacket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Another V8 Bug Build....with a Turbo

Well ladies and germs, the Chevy Luv that I have been racing is being retired (actually giving it to a good friend of mine in trade for a bunch of fabrication work - minus the drive train) and I am moving on to a new project.

I wanted to find something that was going to be ultra light and at the same time, something I could plug a large cubic inch Chevy V8 in. The plan is to strip the bug down to nothing, put a 2x3 frame (.120 wall thickness) under the unibody with a 10 point cage, back half it with a four link and a Mustang II front end.

The drivetrain will be SBC. Just to get the thing rolling I plan on building a moderately built engine at first. While the Bug is running with that motor, I will then be building a frickin nasty Little M Dart block with aluminum heads, forged internals, solid roller cam, blow through carb, etc. that will be able to withstand the huge beating the 106mm Precision will give it.

So needless to say this will be a long term project, but it is my intent to have the Bug at the track with the initial SBC build by June of 2012. I will be posting hear quite often to keep updated on the build.

I have always wanted to document a build from start to finish, and I have decided that I will do that with this Bug. I welcome any comments and suggestions from any of you as this will be a learning experience for me as well I am sure. The primary builders will be me, my good friend Scott (master welder and craftsman) and my friend Monty (my machinest).

Here are some pics of the bug when we picked it up yesterday from Tucson, AZ for $250; the Endurashine Victor Jr. intake that I picked up for $80 off eBay (that needs a good cleaning); the 106mm Precision turbo that I picked up with two different turbine housings (1.0 and 1.32) from Precision for $1495; and the 15x10 Centerlines with 295 radials that I picked up for $200.

I have read over a good chunk of V8 Super Beetles project journal and will definately use that build as a good resource guide.

I have alot of other parts for the build and will take pictures of them as we get to the point of installing them. Again, please provide comments and input as I know many of you have built rods from the ground up and this will really be only my second go around with such a project.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Bug In Benson AZ.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	58919   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Bug In Benson AZ 2.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	58920   Click image for larger version

Name:	106mm Precision Turbo.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	58921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Centerlines.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	58922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vic Jr.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	58923  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 09:38 PM

Last photo:

wow 106mm turbo sb in a beetle u sir are insane . i love it
thats going to be an insane ride going down the track.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 AM
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts

Last photo:

Good to see another V8 bug project!

Sounds like it will be a fun one............

Zach B

1969 Convertible V8 Beetle project: http://www.v8beetleresource.com
Old 10-12-2011, 06:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89
wow 106mm turbo sb in a beetle u sir are insane . i love it
thats going to be an insane ride going down the track.
Yes I am hoping for insane in the very end....but somewhat safe. I love adrenaline just as much as the next guy but want to live long enough to enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbhover
Good to see another V8 bug project!

Sounds like it will be a fun one............

Zach B

1969 Convertible V8 Beetle project: http://www.v8beetleresource.com

Thanks for the link. It is much appreciated. Looks like you put alot of time an effort into your build.

Should have more pictures up this week once the Bug gets over to my casa. Still sitting on the trailer at my friends house. Gonna start tearing into it this weekend. More pics forthcoming.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:37 PM

Last journal entry: Volkswagen V8 Squareback project.
Last photo:

Ah yes, another V8 Volkswagen affecionado(spelling?). I am doing a sbc 330 horse, 2" x 3" chassis, Mustang II front suspension, 9" Ford triangulated 4-bar rear with a 700r4 trannie. Difference is, I am putting it in a Squareback
Old 10-12-2011, 07:22 PM

Last photo:

Affecionado I think is a huge overstatement lol. I just the like the idea of a lil bitty light weight car and a TON of HP that I can hopefully get hooked to the asphalt.

My parents had a VW camper van that we used to go camping in all the time when I was small, but other than that, I have never owned one until now. Gonna be a huge learning curve.

Your build is going to be very similar to mine. I know even less about Squarebacks then I do regular Beetles.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:02 AM

Last photo:

This build is a lotta fun. Here are some pics of mine.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:23 PM

Last photo:

Nice setup? What size rectangular tubibg did you use and what wall thickness is it?
Old 10-13-2011, 03:26 PM

Last photo:

Tubing is 2" x 3" and I guess you would call it 1/8" wall thickness. I have plans that I sell in case you are interested. Gives you the whole details on material, how much and how to cut all of the pieces.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:27 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the offer but 1) your VW body is significantly different from mine and 2) I have a guy working with me that is a fabrication guy. I think I am just going to end up using the .120" wall (1/8) 2x3.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31fordcoupe
Thanks for the offer but 1) your VW body is significantly different from mine and 2) I have a guy working with me that is a fabrication guy. I think I am just going to end up using the .120" wall (1/8) 2x3.
Not a problem. Just thought I'd make the offer. As a matter of fact, the plans actually are for a Bug body. FYI
Old 10-14-2011, 11:16 PM

Last photo:

Demolition Begins

Well got the Bug to the house about two days ago (had been sitting at buddy's house). Start tearing out the interior today as you can see. Got the back seat out, seat belts, and misc floor lining and carpet. Should have the entire interior gutted by Sunday. Gonna leave the dash in as it has the VIN on it and need to have a VIN inspection done before I tear out the dash.

Inside of the Bug is FILTHY. I don't think its been cleaned since it rolled off the show room floor in 1972.

Goal over the next couple of days is to get this thing stripped back down to the basic body minus fenders, hood, trunk and glass.

Getting the floorboard of this unibody cleaned up is going to be a PIA. Anyone got any ideas on the best cleaner to use to get up alot of the black carpet adhesive that is shown in a couple of the pics? Would like to get as much of that crap up as I can before hitting it with a sanding wheel (so it doesn't gum up the sand paper).

More pics coming by Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2271.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	58960   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2272.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	58961   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2273.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	58962   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2274.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	58963   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2275.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	58964  

Old 10-14-2011, 11:18 PM

Last photo:

V8Square,

I wanted to know, how did you get your photos placed into the text field of your responses instead of how my pics are showing up at the bottom of my replies as thumbnails? Be nice if I could figure that out so I can put a caption with each picture to describe what is going on in each picture. Thanks.

Last edited by 31fordcoupe; 10-14-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:14 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
V8Square,

I wanted to know, how did you get your photos placed into the text field of your responses instead of how my pics are showing up at the bottom of my replies as thumbnails? Be nice if I could figure that out so I can put a caption with each picture to describe what is going on in each picture. Thanks.
when u upload pics there it will give u codes u can paste intot he forums and ur pictures will show up in the post so u can put captions on them.

u will be using the codes that say full size imgs for forums or they might be labeled [img]
Old 10-15-2011, 05:51 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
V8Square,

I use Photobucket and use option of "Messages for Forums Full Size". Regarding your question on what to use to take mat off of original chassis. Why? You are not going to use the VW "pan" anyway,right? Unbolt the body from the pan. It is not unibody. There are 34 or 36 bolts holding body to pan. They are located around the perimiter of the pan/chassis and there are 2, one on each side in the rear , near shock towers and two in front where body bolts to pan. Use an 8mm socket to do this. Once bolts are out, you will probably need to use a wide screwdriver or wedge between the body and pan to split the two apart. There is a rubber seal between the two. It is much easier withthe engine removed. Tou will also have to disconnect the steering column fron the body. There are 2 bolts under steering column. Alonf with disconnecting wiring that runs under rear seat.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.