Another Vacuum Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2003, 11:57 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Another Vacuum Question

This is sort of like JustinH's question, but I didn't want to tag on to his thread and confuse things.

I'm having vacuum leak problems, too, and I've been going nuts trying to find it. Its in my daily driver, and shows up when I'm accelerating pretty hard like entering a freeway. The car seems to run OK, but after a couple of hundred yards I start to lose vacuum and the vents start closing (they are vacuum operated). Its not a big deal but I suspect it will gradually get worse. I dread having to tear out the dash just to see if something under there is leaking.

Is there any way to check to see is the PCV valve is doing its thing other than shaking it so see if it rattles?

Thanks for any advice you can give,

Bluesman

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2003, 12:07 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

what kind of vehicle? anyways, most have a vacuum ball under the hood the vacuum connections go to that operate the vents, if this ball isn`t there, there`s nothing to stop them from moving back to there closed position if there is no vacuum, and there is no vacuum at under load throttle. all the device does is act as a check ball to hold the vacuum it has under acceleration. on most GM`s it looks like a ball with 2 vacuum fittings, on other GM cars it looks like a long slender can. sounds as if yours is missing in action or is no longer operational and needs replaced.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:14 PM

I second that. I would hook a gauge up to it. with a long piece of hose that goes to the cab. and try it. and see if the vacuum is lost when you acclerate.

Assuming you have the cannister.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:19 PM

Last photo:

The vehicle is a 1995 Dodge Caravan with the 3.3 litre V-6.

A vacuum ball, huh? Is that the thing that plugs into the brake vacuum booster? It has a vacuum line coming out and going through the firewall. Oh wait...the line does have a can thing on it. I'll try replacing that and see what happens.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:55 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

This last Spring I noticed that my heater controls were stuck on defrost. I figured it was the dash control so I changed it. No luck. I then resorted to actually reading the repair manual (real men don't need instructions!). After some simple checking, I found the bottom of the vacuum ball had MELTED and you couldn't see it from the top.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:27 PM

Last photo:

I found what I think is the vacuum ball, a canister about as big as my thumb, located on the vacuum line going through the firewall. Went to the local Chrysler dealer and guess what? The thing does not show on any of their parts lists or schematics! I'll try to run something down this weekend.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:42 AM

I think the vacuum cannister "ball" should be about the size of a softball. THink about it. It has to store enough vacuum to pull all your vacuum lines. I think you are fooling with a checkvalve.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:03 AM

Last photo:

I thought it was a check valve. I know what you're talking about with the ball, I have one on my truck. This car doesn't have one. They just built it with a vacuum line coming off the brake boost reservoir with a check valve in it. But that gives me another idea ... maybe I'll try plumbing the truck's ball into the van and see what difference it makes!!
Old 09-05-2003, 09:10 AM

You can use a garbage can for a vacuum storage. If it was sealed. anything that will hold a vacuum. Give the one off your other vehicle and see it it helps. I think there should just be 2 nipples on the ball. I dont know which is in/out. On mine the big one is to the manifold and the little one to the accessories.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.