another wierd ignition question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2004, 11:13 PM
machinest & A&P Mechanic

Last journal entry: distributer housing...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

another wierd ignition question

ok well as you may have seen in my other thread i wanted to use two distributors on one motor so i could mechanically (i want to do this mechanically) go from one set timing curve to another, obviously this leaves me with 16 wires and 8 plugs, now should i put a diode between the coil and the rotor and splice the wires or make a mechanical switching device so the current cant "back-feed" up the other high tension leads into the distributer? or will all this be necessary because of the resistance in the secondary windings? any thoughts appreciated :-)

Advertisement

Last edited by Old School Nut; 11-12-2004 at 11:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2004, 02:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Why would you want to do this? A huge waste of time.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Re: another wierd ignition question

Quote:
Originally posted by Old School Nut
ok well as you may have seen in my other thread i wanted to use two distributors on one motor so i could mechanically (i want to do this mechanically) go from one set timing curve to another, obviously this leaves me with 16 wires and 8 plugs, now should i put a diode between the coil and the rotor and splice the wires or make a mechanical switching device so the current cant "back-feed" up the other high tension leads into the distributer? or will all this be necessary because of the resistance in the secondary windings? any thoughts appreciated :-)
Doc here

Why would you want to go through all those headaches? That"s like Volunteering For an IRS audit dude...

First off you 'll play H*ll trying to find a Diode with a reverse Bias of 50 to 70 kilovolts...(back-flow Arcing) and need a shopping cart to carry it in...

otherwise it a sandbaised tube with a wire in it....

The plug wire the rotor is firing on will back feed to the Dist. #2 and act as a Coil wire from the tower to anything in its path...(including other plugs if the distributors aren't in total sync..)

You are looking at nightmares Both mechanical (how do you PLAN to drive the distributor? bore another hole in the manifold?) And Electrical...Look at Top Fuel setups...Duel mags, Driven from the same point (mechanically) with 2 plugs per hole..AND the Fire AT the same Time, not independently. SYNC is very important.

If you want to have the adjustable curve (fun on the run) Then why not go to an Electronic controlled Spark system, with a remote head programmer?

It'll be cheaper in the long run over reinventing the spark distribution system..should give you all the "Play" You need , and you won't have stuff like distributors falling out, or cross firing D1 to D2...

HOWEVER if you are SET in this endeavor, The BEST way to keep Back feed from the other not in use distributor is just pull the rotor...Put it back in when you want to use it..and pull the other..

Doc
Old 11-13-2004, 08:27 PM
machinest & A&P Mechanic

Last photo:

humm well i don't think i was clear, what i am trying to do is have 2 different curves for 2 different types of fuel (alcohol with one gasoline with another) the goal here is to be able to switch from one distributer to the next on the fly (as i change fuels)(i am not expecting a smooth transition). the distributors will NOT be in use at the same time. how do i plan to spin two distributors? put one in the normal hole and drive the other of the front of the cam via special timing chain cover.. sorry if i wasn't clear... btw what do you think of using a solenoid to disconnect and connect the coil to the proper rotor???
Old 11-13-2004, 08:34 PM

In my opinion I think it would be faster to create two different advance curves for the one distributor and just change the springs and weights when you switch fuels.

But I have another question how are you going to change the jetting on the fly?
Old 11-13-2004, 08:42 PM
machinest & A&P Mechanic

Last photo:

cant change springs on the fly! lol i plan on switching carbs on the fly via cable operated (or solinoid) valve under both carbs.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:46 PM

Post some pics when you get this accomplished as it should be interesting to say the least.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:58 PM
machinest & A&P Mechanic

Last photo:

yeah i will, but its going to be awhile, i just got the block and crank for the build, many more parts tho i need to find and fabricate, but thats the fun part.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:12 PM

Last journal entry: "Z" construction
Last photo:

Programmable Electronic ignition
Programmable EFI

I tried building my own carburator when I was a kid. I still use it as a brass paper weight on my desk to this day.

Don't mean to sound discouraging ..... Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:41 PM

Msd already makes everything that you would need to do this with one distributor, one set of plugs, one msd box and one set of plug wires. All you would really need to do this cheap is an msd box, two timing control units and a double pole double throw switch. This is even less complicated than the back ignition systems that nascar racers use still using one distributor and one set of plug wires.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:09 AM
machinest & A&P Mechanic

Last photo:

Pro70Z28, cant discourage this guy! but imagine the visual impact when you look under the hood, total chaos, yet so elegant, and easy to tune without a computer.

tresi, your idea would be the plan i would probably go by if i were to build a few of these for guys who want to make it easy for themselves. lol guess i don't have my priorities strait. i like the challenge of figuring out solutions and doing what few have done. or at least do what hasn't been done in awhile. not doing it to be different but because i like mechanical problems
and i just love the controlled violence of all things mechanical, the complexity, the precision.... oh and the fact i can make moonshine ugh, er fuel for cheaper than i can buy race fuel...
Old 11-14-2004, 06:38 AM

Iff you really want to doo the twin dizzy without computer help,,
why use the high voltage side to switch spark curves,, switch between dist in wires ,,..

or go for an cable advance retard set up,,..

Last edited by Simo; 11-14-2004 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:44 PM
machinest & A&P Mechanic

Last photo:

well simo, i have thought about that, however i was not shure what that would do, i figure the current would go into the secondary windings and maybe induce a voltage in the primary, (points may be closed for a seccond the other points are open)also the extra condenser would probobly also pick up some juice that would otherwise be going to the plug, also i feal that some juice (induced) might find it way to the other distributer and screw it up a bit (since they are not synchronized). any electrical guru's wanna chime in on weather this is possible with a points setup?

oh and for newer distributers like a HEI... i have no clue what goes on with the circuitry of the control module, so i wont even go their.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Hate to burst your bubble there dude, but the electrical gurus on this site are shaking their head and saying...NEXT! What do you have against electronic spark control?

In case I am wrong I am going to move this post to the electrical forum, you might get more help there.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:57 PM
machinest & A&P Mechanic

Last photo:

yeah 4 jaw, guess it would have been better in the electrical forum...

here are some of the reasons i dont want to use electronic spark control:

1. wow factor sucks
2. its not old school
3. i dont understand solid state as well (ok i admited it)
4. i like to tinker / be under the hood
5. people will not shake their head at me.. lol
6. i cant say i made it
7. i wouldnt have the redundancy
8. i cant tell import kids i have a v-16..
9. electrical system in my 66 is whaco (still should be fixed)

all may be kinda weak excuses for the "ease" of use as compaired to electronics, but i got my blinders on now

anyways, as you all can see i know the handicap i am placing on myself, yet i want your opinions on the hard way, i am not going to change my mind that easy, just looking for some help/opinions is all. but i apreciate every1 trying to stear me in the easyer less headake route tho

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.