Another Wiring Question.... - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2009, 02:09 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Its kind of hard to explain.
It's not hard to explain. You want to make a 10g extension cord.

Quote:
whether the added outlet on the end reduces the electricity going to either the oven/compressor.
This has absolutely NOTHING to do w/your appliances in the apartment, unless you plan on running them off extension cords too LOL.

Anytime you have a run of wire, there's resistance. The "trick" (mathmatically calculated easily, actually) is to size the wire large enough so that the current draw of the compressor plus the resistance of the wire doesn't exceed the rating of the circuit that you're using.

Exceed it and there's your fire hazard- or more likely just a tripped breaker- that is until that's either bypassed or in some other ingenious fashion made to bow to your needs.

Might want to avoid having kids around, and try to avoid any oily, damp or wet conditions. A "Danger- HIGH VOLTAGE" warning sign would be good- but will not affect your being liable if there's a mishap.

Liability/renters insurance may or may not help you if there's an accident, so you might want to put your worldly possessions in another name.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2009, 02:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Trust me, ME TOO!

I cant wait to get out of this apartment and get everything perfect!
Old 04-26-2009, 02:43 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

You do realize that a range plug and a dryer plug are different, and there is a reason for that. Range plugs are heavier construction because of more amps passing through the plug, dryers have less. The end of the 'extension' cord should at least have a range plug on it. If you are just using the oven part and nothing else, you could be alright.

If you intend to roll up and unroll the 10 ga, wire each time that you want to use it, that is a no-no! The wire that you are using is and will become to brittle and strands will break and resistance will increase, and you will blow the cable. If you want to roll and unroll cable use a multi strand cable MADE for that purpose. The cable that you have is made to remain in one position, afixed to a stud and left there.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:07 PM

Last photo:

I got my 10-3 cable from homedepot. Its about an inch thick and it has THICK rubber around it. Each wire is individually wrapped inside and there is like a fiberglass filling in the inside. It came rolled up on a spool so I dont see why it would hurt it.

My dryer outlet is a 4 prong outlet and I already have a heavy duty plug on it. I just hope it will run on the 30 amp breaker if not I cant use it. I cant change out my breakers. 1. because its an apartment. 2. I cant shut off the main power. 2 being the BIG one!

Last edited by rjbrown; 04-26-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

I take it your wifes making you move into the garage?

I made up an extension cord for my 220V MIG welder. The cords so short on the welder I'd have to drag everything I work on across the shop. Also run a small plasma cutter off the same plug in the wall. If I were you I'd leave the 30 amp. breaker rather than change to a 40 amp. because it would still protect the dryer and the compressor if that's rated for a 30. You might not be able to run all the elements on the range but that shouldn't matter. Better to blow the breaker with the oven and still have proper protection for the rest of the equipment.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:36 PM

Last photo:

Well see my laundry room is in my apt.

We were forced to move from our house and I cant just shut down my powder coating business. I have alot of work to be done. That is why I ask.

Yeah I wont even be using any of the top burners. In fact they are removed. I will just be using the oven.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:46 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbrown
I cant just shut down my powder coating business. *snip* Yeah I wont even be using any of the top burners. In fact they are removed. I will just be using the oven.
Anyway, I'll pass on those pizza rolls, thanks just the same. lol
Old 04-27-2009, 06:27 AM

Last photo:

just wondering but how big is the compressor? and how many phaze is it? just wondering.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 AM
boatbob2

compressor wiring......

Hi,i ran a 10-3 wire from my circuit breaker box (main line) with a 30 amp circuit breaker,dedicated to the comp,i ran this line into a stove female plug,then i made an extension cord out of a welding cable (big,thick one) then to a plug on the compressor.. it works fine (14 years ) never overheated.(line)
Old 04-27-2009, 01:34 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, I did the same but I bought the 10-3 flex cable at Home Depot. Think the whole thing including male and female cost $60-70 Canadian.

So, Rjbrown, you do powder coating in a domestic oven? Any tips?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

Yeah I do powder coating in a regular oven. I took a double oven and cut the middle out and welded some new panels and a new door.

Im in the process of building a 4' x 4' x 6' oven as we speak though. Should be nice when Im done.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:34 PM

Last photo:

rjbrown.......this is what I did to run a 240V line extension from the dryer room to the garage for a welder. The first pic is the female 240v receptical in the garage. The second pic shows where the line terminates in a junction box. In that box the 10-3 line is connected to a dryer cord which is draped over the top of the box. I simply remove the plug for the dryer (which is is also shown) from the 240v dedicated line and plug in the extension for the garage.

A word of caution.........this topic has been discussed at least twice on this forum and responses usually fall into two distinct categories.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1111[1].JPG
Views:	66
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	38668   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1112[1].JPG
Views:	78
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	38669  

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.