Hot Rod Forum banner

answers about a lt1

798 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  sickboy84 
#1 · (Edited)
question about a lt1

Hi, im omar from mexico and i have a few questions, my dd car its a montecarlo 84 with 268/276 lunati voodoo a 750cfm edelbrock and a street dominator intake manifld, the tranny its a th350 and the rear end its a d44 3.73, well my engine its old and i never cut the block or change the oil pump even a piston ring change, its working fine but i dont now how long its gonna be that way,so i want to swap the engine, aint got money in my pocket but i got a ford 4.6 from a 07 mustang and im thinking in change this engine for a chevy engine and swap my old stuff to the new engine, well my question is, can i use a distribuitor on a lt1? or they're just desgined for coilpacks?? this its because i want to keep it with a carb, the idea its put the new sbc engine with my old stuff in the montecarlo, and i dont fix my old 350 cause aint got that kind of money and nobody wants to buy a 4.6 ford...

got better ideas? i wanna hear them, and thnaks for all i got like 3 monts reading this forum and its awesome! and sorry for the english but im learning!

#3 ·
The LT1 does use a distributor. Its mounted on the front of the block, driven off the front of the cam.

But... like Tech says, drive it till it pukes.

The LT1 is great, but its no better than a 96-99 Vortec 350. You're better off getting a Vortec 350 (or putting Vortec heads on an old 350) and then using a Vortec carburetor intake on it.

Cheaper, easier, no computer, and it will make the same power.

#4 ·
jajajaja thanks for the answers, im gonna smell the señoritas thats for sure!!!, so well, you think its gonna be more easy a vortec 350?? its the same block? so i can use the same tranny on the 350 vortec, engine mount, and all that? cause find a vortec would be pretty easy and just make the swap would be awesome and perfect for me.

and thanks again tech and curtis!!

#6 ·
They are a different block, but externally they are basically the same. Mounts, transmission, etc will all bolt up.

LT1s from Camaros and Firebirds used a different right side mount location and some of them aren't drilled for the standard location. Make sure the one you find is drilled for the traditional SBC mounts and you'll be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.