Antifreeze in the oil. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 09:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Antifreeze in the oil.

I just rebuilt my sbc 406 and upon the first start up it would not fire. I tried several times to get it to start but it wouldn't. After a while I noticed that antifreeze was coming out of the passenger side header. I stopped and started tearing it down hoping for just a pinched head gasket. Found I have a cracked head. There was antifreeze sitting in the cylinders on that side and also in the oil. How do I clean all this up and how far do I need to tear this thing down?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 09:27 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by srob67
I just rebuilt my sbc 406 and upon the first start up it would not fire. I tried several times to get it to start but it wouldn't. After a while I noticed that antifreeze was coming out of the passenger side header. I stopped and started tearing it down hoping for just a pinched head gasket. Found I have a cracked head. There was antifreeze sitting in the cylinders on that side and also in the oil. How do I clean all this up and how far do I need to tear this thing down?
You have positively found a cracked head? A cracked head can put coolant into two cylinders that sit side by side but you usually don't see more than two cylinders w/coolant in them from a cracked head- unless it's well and truly CRACKED!

So if it's for sure a cracked head, blot out the coolant w/paper towels (don't get lint into everything), be sure there's no coolant in the oil pan. Drain it to be sure, if nothing is in the oil, reuse it as long as you keep it clean.

You could reuse the head gasket, but if you want to be safe, replace it. Be sure the torque sequence is followed and that you tighten the head fasteners in at least three steps to 65 ft/lbs or whatever the fastener manufacturer recommends if different from that.

Also be sure the intake gaskets are sealing around the water crossover and the intake ports so there's no coolant or vacuum leakage there. Same thing on replacing them as well as following the torque sequence.

You are using break in quantities of ZDDP in the motor oil, right?

Some info that may help:

Firing order

HEI distributor info

Adjusting the valves

Head gaskets

Cam installation

Valve train points to check

Differences in SBC timing tabs and damper TDC lines
Old 05-15-2012, 03:39 AM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

coolant leak

intake leak is a more likely cause. but like cobalt said if your sure its the head. antifreeze will tear the bearings out. i always start my motors with pure water. water will evaporate.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:51 AM

Its the head

When I pulled the header there was water inside the combustion chamber on the #2 cylinder. I think the coolant in the other cylinders was residual from when the head came off. Very little in the oil but I'm still changing it. I can definitely tell the head is cracked. These heads came off of a circle track car and supposedly had one bent valve. I had them checked and they found 6 bent valves. I should have had them stripped down and magnafluxed then. My own fault for not doing things right the first time.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:19 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by srob67
When I pulled the header there was water inside the combustion chamber on the #2 cylinder. I think the coolant in the other cylinders was residual from when the head came off. Very little in the oil but I'm still changing it. I can definitely tell the head is cracked. These heads came off of a circle track car and supposedly had one bent valve. I had them checked and they found 6 bent valves. I should have had them stripped down and magnafluxed then. My own fault for not doing things right the first time.
OK, I understand. Good luck w/it, let us know how it comes together.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.