Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Antique Vehicle Plates?
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2004, 08:22 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

In Illinois vehicles with antique plates can only be driven to and from, shows, parades, exhibitions or for servicing. They can NOT be driven for pleasure as in a nice Sunday cruise, etc. How do I know this ? A not so friendly Illinois State Trooper nailed me in my '62 Chevy last year just before I sold it. I took it out for a "last" drive and got pulled over for supposedly not having brake lights, which worked fine when he had me try them. I copped a little attitude because I knew damn well they worked and it was a bogus stop so then he asked me where I was going, I told him I was just out for a drive................ oh boy ! You would have thought I robbed a bank !!! I got a 20 minute lecture and cross examination on the regulations regarding Antique Vehicle registration. He did finally "let me off" with a written warning but I think I would have rather paid the $75 and been on my way than have to listen to that arrogant little $@#. And don't get me wrong I don't have anything against law enforcement as a whole, just this guy in particular, I had never seen him before and I haven't seen him since so he was probably in the area just to write tickets. If you want to drive the car/truck whenever you feel like it don't mess with antique plates, at least not in Illinois..............