Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   Antique Vehicle Plates? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/antique-vehicle-plates-39218.html)

GearHead69 05-10-2004 07:33 PM

Antique Vehicle Plates?
 
I see lots of people at shows running AV plates, what is the deal with these? What are the rules and how much do they cost? I turn 16 in a few days, I already have a daily driver but it would be nice to have plates on my truck so I can take it out in the summer

poncho62 05-10-2004 08:12 PM

It has to qualify as an antique vehicle. Different states or provinces have different criteria. Check with you DMV.

BOBCRMAN@aol.com 05-10-2004 08:18 PM

Yes, Every state is different. In Michigan the vehicle must be 25 years old. The vehicle can't be used as an everyday vehicle. The plates used to be good for the life of the car. Now they are good for seven years.

Hippie 05-10-2004 08:22 PM

In Illinois vehicles with antique plates can only be driven to and from, shows, parades, exhibitions or for servicing. They can NOT be driven for pleasure as in a nice Sunday cruise, etc. How do I know this ? A not so friendly Illinois State Trooper nailed me in my '62 Chevy last year just before I sold it. I took it out for a "last" drive and got pulled over for supposedly not having brake lights, which worked fine when he had me try them. I copped a little attitude because I knew damn well they worked and it was a bogus stop so then he asked me where I was going, I told him I was just out for a drive................ oh boy ! :eek: You would have thought I robbed a bank !!! I got a 20 minute lecture and cross examination on the regulations regarding Antique Vehicle registration. He did finally "let me off" with a written warning but I think I would have rather paid the $75 and been on my way than have to listen to that arrogant little $@#. And don't get me wrong I don't have anything against law enforcement as a whole, just this guy in particular, I had never seen him before and I haven't seen him since so he was probably in the area just to write tickets. If you want to drive the car/truck whenever you feel like it don't mess with antique plates, at least not in Illinois..............

FASTCHEVY 05-10-2004 08:32 PM

Paper dealer tags work pretty good, if you can swipe one out of a car your test driving.
Farm truck tags are cheaper, but I don't know if there is any limits on them.

poncho62 05-10-2004 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by FASTCHEVY
Paper dealer tags work pretty good, if you can swipe one out of a car your test driving.
Farm truck tags are cheaper, but I don't know if there is any limits on them.

Yeah.....Stolen tags are a good idea............NOT.

GearHead69 05-10-2004 09:05 PM

"Vehicles displaying these plates may only be driven to and from an antique auto show or exhibition, service station or demonstration. The mechanical and physical condition of the vehicle, including brakes, lights, glass and appearance, must be the same or as safe as originally equipped. An antique vehicle may be a "bona fide replica" - an exact copy of the original in design, frame and mechanical operation. "Facsimiles" - close, but not exact, reproductions of the original - do not qualify for Antique Vehicle plates."
-Illinois DMV
Dang, plenty of people around here run AV plates and drive their cars around all the time.. I guess they are lucky enough not to get caught. Those plates are soo cheap that I would almost take the risk of running them, I'd just say "I'm headed to the gas station"

FASTCHEVY 05-10-2004 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by poncho62
Yeah.....Stolen tags are a good idea............NOT.
What's the deal man? where did I say "use stolen tags"? The car sales-person sometimes leaves the paper dealer tag in the car you just bought from them. They may even give give one to you if you ask. All I was saying is that if someone doesn't have the money to register the car, or won't pass emissions, paper tags can get you by.

poncho62 05-10-2004 09:21 PM

Which is illegal where most of us live.................maybe you can get away with stuff like that in Texas, but not the rest of the world. Insurance is probably a big joke too. If you can't afford to drive legally, get it off the road.

FASTCHEVY 05-10-2004 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by poncho62
Which is illegal where most of us live.................maybe you can get away with stuff like that in Texas, but not the rest of the world. Insurance is probably a big joke too. If you can't afford to drive legally, get it off the road.
Yeah to some people insurance is a joke, but I've always been insured.
So what if I had to use paper tags on my El Camino, so I would not have to take (and fail) an emission test. So what if I used a inspection sticker off of another car on my 89 Chevy truck because it wouldn't pass the emissions test, what are you going to do, report me to the EPA?:rolleyes:

I must be a terrible person to brake a law like that, just so I could drive to work and pay bills. I DEMAND to be sent to prison at once!

Gr8 '48 bow tie 05-10-2004 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by FASTCHEVY
What's the deal man? where did I say "use stolen tags"? The car sales-person sometimes leaves the paper dealer tag in the car you just bought from them. They may even give give one to you if you ask. All I was saying is that if someone doesn't have the money to register the car, or won't pass emissions, paper tags can get you by.

Perhaps you don't remember anything longer than about one minute so let me help you out. YOUR LAST POST READS AS BELOW.

Al



FASTCHEVY
I have new pics in my album!

Registered: Feb 2004
Age: 21
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 1168

PM Stats:

62/100
Paper dealer tags work pretty good, if you can swipe one out of a car your test driving.
Farm truck tags are cheaper, but I don't know if there is any limits on them.

poncho62 05-11-2004 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by FASTCHEVY
Yeah to some people insurance is a joke, but I've always been insured.
So what if I had to use paper tags on my El Camino, so I would not have to take (and fail) an emission test. So what if I used a inspection sticker off of another car on my 89 Chevy truck because it wouldn't pass the emissions test, what are you going to do, report me to the EPA?:rolleyes:

I must be a terrible person to brake a law like that, just so I could drive to work and pay bills. I DEMAND to be sent to prison at once!

Because, I insure, do emmissions and pay for plates on 5 vehicles...........I pay my way, whether I agree with it or not. Its these people that try to get away with stuff like this that p*ss me off. They are the ones that run over an old lady and then run for the hills. I see these types on the road all the time.........it's too bad that the cops can't seem to see it (or can't be bothered)

Hippie 05-11-2004 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by GearHead69
Dang, plenty of people around here run AV plates and drive their cars around all the time.. I guess they are lucky enough not to get caught. Those plates are soo cheap that I would almost take the risk of running them, I'd just say "I'm headed to the gas station"
Yeah I know of several people that drive theirs to and from worrk in nice weather, I get mine out one time in 6 months and get nailed................ :mad: Hell of it is I had driven 200 miles that day and was 6 miles from home. Almost made it.

Ghetto Jet 05-11-2004 09:43 AM

See if your state offers classic tags. It has less restrictions.

I have them on the Caprice, full coverage, the car is insured for $5000(much more than its worth) I am the primary driver, I'm 18 and I only PAY $270 a year for car insurance. The mileage limit is 5000, but there are obvious ways around that.

GearHead69 05-11-2004 09:51 PM

Un-hook the odometer and use the tach as a speedo. Any ideas on how much insurance would be with those classic plates on my '70 C10 2x4 with a basically stock 327, I have to pay my own insurance which is going to suck. Thanks for the info


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.