Any 100% (or close to it) hand fabbed bodied rigs out there? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2007, 11:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Any 100% (or close to it) hand fabbed bodied rigs out there?

Any 100% (or close to it) hand fabbed bodied rigs out there?

All of my research and drawings for what the rig I want to build next had lead me to believe that I would spend more time (and more $$$) buying and taking a torch to an existing body, than to scratch build one.

That, and I really would hate to waste a perfectly good body that somebody else might put to use

For those of you familiar with drastic body mods, or scratch built bodies, any tips, ideas, or links?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2007, 12:22 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Try www.metalmeet.com and see what those guys are doing..Do a search on Randy Ferguson as he does that sort of thing.. Check out Cboy's Journal to see how he did it..

I am seeing more interest in this sort of thing as original or repro tin is getting to be high priced plus guys like the challenge of I did it..

Sam
Old 02-13-2007, 12:34 AM

Thanks for the response.

Yes, things are getting SPENDY. And it seems that anything worth a darn is hundreds of miles away, half buried in a field
Old 02-13-2007, 01:13 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

As OMT mentioned, here's the scratch built roadster I did a couple years ago. You can see every step of the build by clicking on my project journal. This entire car cost a hair less than $5K and is a hoot to drive.

This is my other scratch built. It was done by Charlie Titman in Vancouver B.C. There are also a few pics of the body construction in my journal. I guess it goes without saying I am a huge fan of scratch building and I highly encourage it as a cost competitive option to original metal. I'm in the process of building a third one right now.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:44 PM
User

Last photo:

This thread discusses, and has a few ideas about building a body, or "Rat Rod" from scratch. Really, its worth reading if your thinking about it.
Scratch Built Rat Rod

This is my own "scratch built" early roadster styled body. I found a 78' Ford Truck hood in a pile of parts in the woods behind my house, drug it to my barn, measured, and sawed a 10-inch strip out of the center with a Sawzall.

What really, got me about these hoods, is that they curve around in the back, half a small flat ridge, which would be a good place to splice in sheetmetal to fill the back. The hood curves down on the sides, and there is a large ledge on the inside which would make a rather sturdy place to weld in a floor. The front part of the hood (which would now be the cowl/firewall area) Is slightly raked back, but there is a piece of metal that runs up both sides for support thats built in at the factory.

So you could actually use flat metal for the firewall (attached to the inner support, which is flat, body would still have a good profile) and the rear of the body. A couple of pieces of angle iron would tie the bottom together pretty well, I'm sure that once the floor is solid, and the back and firewall welded in, that there wouldn't be too much flex (if any) in the body, still might want to get some pretty thick flat bar and run across the back. The only problem is the lack of doors, but some time with a saw could fix that.

Still needs some kind of cowl/windsheild posts, but a brake and a sheet metal could solve that also.

My biggest problem (and why I never finished) was that I cut too little out of the center of the hood, leaving me with a body that is way too tall. Also, this hood had been slathered in bondo, laid upside down in the woods for 10 years, and horribly repainted about 5 times. So it wasn't in the best shape either. One day, I'll find a decent hood and possibly try again.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:05 PM

Thanks SO much for the responses. Looks like Ive got a ton more to read

Ive already dug into your Journal Cboy Fantastic work!

My plans are simple so far, and are designed simple to avoid many obstacles like doors and windows, and hard to manage body contours.

Just a simple tub with very few compound radius', no front end sheet metal, and open rear wheels. Im even tossing around the idea of a remote mount, electric fan pushed radiator in the "trunk" area to open up the front end. Give it more of a buggy look. Every one of my sketches with no front radiator just looks much better (IMO)

Im thinking open top with a small wind screen, and "doors" that are nothing more than a lowered portion of the sheet metal to allow for access. Very similar to a lot of "half doors" used by rock crawling jeeps and such.

Entire body would be built upon a square tube frame.

Of course, it is barely on paper at this stage.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:44 PM
User

Last photo:

What about a mid/rear engine set-up?
Old 02-13-2007, 10:41 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idasho
Im even tossing around the idea of a remote mount, electric fan pushed radiator in the "trunk" area to open up the front end.
Idasho,

I would not encourage the rear mounted radiator. I did it on my roadster and had a great deal of difficulty getting it to cool properly until I installed a small auxiliary radiator in the normal front position. I thought I would save money by using my stock (F-150) radiator and hiding it the rear...but as it turned out it there was little, if any cost savings, while there was a LOT of headache. Others have done it successfully, but I wouldn't recommend it for the novice...and I wouldn't do it again myself.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Not the steelie you probably are interested in but I am in the process of reproducing Ed Roths 'glas Mysterion. Have the cyclopse headlight pod done so far, will attack the rest soon hopefully. See my Journal.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Frosty
What about a mid/rear engine set-up?
Ive thought about it, But really prefer to run a standard 5-speed trans, without any fancy shift linkage. Although, it would lend a hand is sweet weight distribution, and make the thing handle very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cboy
I would not encourage the rear mounted radiator. I did it on my roadster and had a great deal of difficulty getting it to cool properly until I installed a small auxiliary radiator in the normal front position.
Thanks for the heads up. Curious though, what motor are you running? 302? Or a 351? Again, this car is barely in the planning stages. Im tossing ideas around right now. When it comes time to actually start drawing real plans, Ill decide.

Im set on using a DOHC V6 high rever... from a Taurus SHO. Ive got a Supercharged SHO project right not that was in the works more as a "something to do in the spare time" project, and am going to scrap the Taurus and use the motor.

On the same subject, Ive my daily driver is a SHO as well. Modded, and fun. Ive been involved with SHOs for more than 5 years now. Im starting to get bored of the car, but not of the motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cboy
willys36@aol.com I am in the process of reproducing Ed Roths 'glas Mysterion.
WOAH!! Crazy project indeed! Ive never seen such a car. And would never even thing of building such a body.

Very cool project!

Last edited by Idasho; 02-14-2007 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:26 AM

A few years back in Hot Rod Mechanix Tex Smith was playing with a roadster body idea built from a mini-truck (Datsun, Toyota, Isuzu) pickup bed. I don't remember whether they ever got it finished or just dream project.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Here is a car built by Virgil Exner (willer of the Fisher Body Craftsman's guild and later chief auto designer at Ford for years) as his master's thesis @ Notre Dame. Nice essay, don't you think?!
Old 02-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Hand fabbed bodies - Wood.

Livio De Marchi drives his hand built car/boats in Venice - he carves them out of wood. It enables him to drive around the Venician canals in style, much to the delight of both tourists and locals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wood 1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	18533   Click image for larger version

Name:	wood 2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	18534   Click image for larger version

Name:	wood 3.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	18535   Click image for larger version

Name:	wood 4.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	18536   Click image for larger version

Name:	wood 5.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	18537  

Old 02-14-2007, 11:31 PM
User

Last photo:

Pre-Stamped body parts that can be improvised, into an actual body, are useful because their, for the most part, already reinfroced and braced on the inside of the skin. Also, they've got curves and body lines you don't have to do yourself. Plus, their alot cheaper usually than actual sheet-stock.

Just use your imagination.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:38 AM
User

Last photo:

Built using some Chevette Parts, what looks like some old fenders, and a wheel barrow.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.