Any 350 roller blocks with quench pistons? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011, 06:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Any 350 roller blocks with quench pistons?

Such as any of the Vortec's?

Planning some mild upgrades to my 81 Vette but I know they're fully dished pistons and I need something with quench style pistons (i.e. flat tops or D shaped dish) that will work with Vortec style heads to allow a higher compr ratio (i.e. 9-1) that will avoid detonation and still run decently on 87 octane.

Trying to determine if any good used shortblocks are available (of course also a roller capable block) that might be less costly than re-building my L81 motor with upgraded pistons.

I'm on a budget so a crate engine or shortblock is out.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 06:58 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Buy any roller block engine that came with vortec heads on them. That will give you everything you need.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:03 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Keith Black makes some d dish pistons that can be purchased from summit,they work great with vortecs.
Shane
Old 01-11-2011, 10:09 AM

Last photo:

I did some lengthy research and found that all 5.7 Vortec engines (only came in trucks) had fully dished pistons - nothing with flat tops or D shaped dish, and even the GM crate Vortec engine with 9.1 cr requires 91 octane which bears that out. SBC engines have been built that ran fine on 87 octane and 9-1+ comp ratio with good quench from Vortec heads and quench type pistons.

So the only way to get a decent quench in any 350 SBC is to change pistons, and even with the inexpensive Sealed Power / Speed Pro type hypereutectics that would run well over $300 by the time I pay machine costs, not to mention R&R & the work on the engine which I wouldn't do if I don't change pistons. And available D shaped dish pistons are significantly more expensive.

And calculting comp ratios with available inexpensive pistons and the largest (67cc) comb chambers available on low cost aftermarket Vortec heads, I'd still likely have to run at least 89 octane, so wouldn't be gaining much in the way of reduced gas costs, if anything.

Figuring a max miles on that car during my retirement at 50k miles, if I leave the stock shortblock alone, except for a cam change, it will cost less to use the small chamber 64cc heads and run 91 octane than changing pistons. Not to mention all the work. And I'd probly gain a few lbs of low and mid range torque from increased timing advance and slightly higher compr ratio, and maybe even a mpg or 2.

With 64cc heads, .02 x 4.1 coated gasket which should seal a non-machined deck, stock 9.9cc no-quench dished pistons, .05 actual deck height (.045 at blueprint block height value) = 9.09-1 compr ratio. With .055 deck height about 9.07.

So as "nice" as it would be to have the more modern quench setup, it's just not cost effective for my situation. Going with the above setup saves me
at least $300 up front plus a whole bunch of work, and ends up saving probly $100 or more cost over time.

Last edited by macx; 01-11-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macx
I did some lengthy research and found that all 5.7 Vortec engines (only came in trucks) had fully dished pistons - nothing with flat tops or D shaped dish, and even the GM crate Vortec engine with 9.1 cr requires 91 octane which bears that out. SBC engines have been built that ran fine on 87 octane and 9-1+ comp ratio with good quench from Vortec heads and quench type pistons.

So the only way to get a decent quench in any 350 SBC is to change pistons, and even with the inexpensive Sealed Power / Speed Pro type hypereutectics that would run well over $300 by the time I pay machine costs, not to mention R&R & the work on the engine which I wouldn't do if I don't change pistons. And available D shaped dish pistons are significantly more expensive.

And calculting comp ratios with available inexpensive pistons and the largest (67cc) comb chambers available on low cost aftermarket Vortec heads, I'd still likely have to run at least 89 octane, so wouldn't be gaining much in the way of reduced gas costs, if anything.

Figuring a max miles on that car during my retirement at 50k miles, if I leave the stock shortblock alone, except for a cam change, it will cost less to use the small chamber 64cc heads and run 91 octane than changing pistons. Not to mention all the work. And I'd probly gain a few lbs of low and mid range torque from increased timing advance and slightly higher compr ratio, and maybe even a mpg or 2.

With 64cc heads, .02 x 4.1 coated gasket which should seal a non-machined deck, stock 9.9cc no-quench dished pistons, .05 actual deck height (.045 at blueprint block height value) = 9.09-1 compr ratio. With .055 deck height about 9.07.

So as "nice" as it would be to have the more modern quench setup, it's just not cost effective for my situation. Going with the above setup saves me
at least $300 up front plus a whole bunch of work, and ends up saving probly $100 or more cost over time.
Yep the only time this wraps up into the words cost effective is if the engine has to be rebuilt anyway. Then you do it right the first time.

This is like my wife setting in line at Costco to save a dime a gallon when filling up her Prius.

Bogie
Old 01-12-2011, 04:31 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

9.7 with Vortecs (singh groved,polished and deburred chambers) on 87 on a 406.
Shane
Old 05-03-2011, 10:34 AM
World Famous VF-14

Last journal entry: Cleaned it up...
Last photo:

Just to update this, Any 87-93 Police caprice with the LO5 tbi 350 will have factory flat tops and be a roller engine.

This was the engine in my 90 Caprice 9C1 ...
Old 05-03-2011, 01:15 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

LT-type engines came w/FT's, used metric rings.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:59 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

In most cases those people who go chasing down the last mpg on anything with an sbc spend dollars to save cents. The 350 is not an ecotec 2.2L or even an LS3- accept it for what it is and go from there.

As already said the only time it makes sense to change something for mpg's is when you need to change (rebuild) it anyway.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:38 PM
known to do dumb stuff!!

The L31 vortec out of my 1996 k2500 was a roller block and had flattops like the above pictures. Obviously had vortec heads as well as 4 bolt mains!! Win win. With some block decking or thiner head gaskets you could come up with real good quench numbers! Factory vortec engines are about 9.1 compression stock so plan on a bit more if decking or thinner headgaskets.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Here's a 1.560" hyper flat-top 350 piston for under a hundred bucks for a set of 8....
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-17350-30/
Old 05-03-2011, 05:06 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_1080
The L31 vortec out of my 1996 k2500 was a roller block and had flattops like the above pictures. Obviously had vortec heads as well as 4 bolt mains!! Win win. With some block decking or thiner head gaskets you could come up with real good quench numbers! Factory vortec engines are about 9.1 compression stock so plan on a bit more if decking or thinner headgaskets.
My L31 has those cheesy round dished pistons, PM rods. Oh well.

I think you'll find the stock CR higher than 9:1- my engine measured to be ~9.5:1 w/the dished pistons and a thin-ish (0.028") head gasket.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:37 AM
World Famous VF-14

Last journal entry: Cleaned it up...
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
In most cases those people who go chasing down the last mpg on anything with an sbc spend dollars to save cents. The 350 is not an ecotec 2.2L or even an LS3- accept it for what it is and go from there.

As already said the only time it makes sense to change something for mpg's is when you need to change (rebuild) it anyway.
But their is a difference between a smog motor running inefficiently and getting 10MPG and a nice well matched small block running efficient and getting almost 19mpg.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.