Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Any advice on matching chromabase silver?
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 04:41 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Matching Chromabase silver

I confess that I personally haven't done pro body repair for a few years now, but at the last shop I worked at (Chev/ Toyota/ Chrysler dealer) we had our own DuPont color mixing system. Back then we used what DuPont called The VINdicator. What that was, was a way of mixing/matching paint that WE mixed by using the V.I.N. of the car. We would get into the paint computer, type in the DuPont color number, and then enter the V.I.N.. DuPont had supposedly had field reps at the manufacturing plants that had matched the actual car colors coming off the assembly line. While I don't know if that is 100% true, we did have extraordinary luck matching colors, even on high metallic Chrysler colors. I know for sure that 2 years ago that they still used this system, as I had my local paint supplier mix some deep blue metallic for my wife's Saturn, and the match was close enough that I did NOT blend the color. While this may not help you 100% ('04 GTO's I believe were Australian built) I would definitely ask your jobber if they can use the "VINdicator" to mix your paint. After all, ANY help matching paint is a plus. Sorry to be so long winded, but thought that it might help to mention this. Hope you have good luck !! Rick