Any advise on an S10? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2003, 09:23 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Any advise on an S10?

Hello Everyone-
I just traded in my 97 acura for a 01 S10 LS. It's a real nice truck and it's even certified. I did it mainly to drop my payments so I can save up faster for my Nova, and also to haul around parts so I don't have to borrow a truck anymore. I was wondering if this S10 would tow the Nova around if needed to. It's got the Vortec V6, with an auto (I don't know what tranny it is, so if anyone does, let me know). I haven't even looked at the rear end so I don't know what that is either, but my guess would be a 10 bolt. I also have no idea on how much my Nova weighs, but it's a 62 that's back halfed with a MII front end, totally gutted, 12 point cage, blown 468 with a richmond 5spd (just incase anyone would know about how much it would weigh).

Also, anyone got any advise on what to do with the S10, a sbc would be nice, but is out of the question right now. I can't afford two projects...
Thanks!

got2be...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2003, 09:34 AM
www.s10v8.com

I would definitely get a tranny cooler atleast.I am thinking that you have a 700r4 tranny and the 7.5 or 8.5 rear end.I guess it depends on how far you will be towing it.Before i converted my 82 s15 over to a 350 , it had a 2.8 and manual 4 speed.I use to tow a trailer with 4 big atv's and carried a 5th atv in the bed every weekend to Uwharrie National forest ( 68 miles 1 way). I dropped the transfer case on a lifted up silverado 4x4 down there one time, i ended up pulling it home with my little truck without any problems. If you decide to pull your race car and trailer atleast get a tranny cooler, I think you will be fine....Jay
Old 08-07-2003, 10:13 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last photo:

Thanks for the info layin. I'm glad to hear that I should have no problems. This may sound stupid, but wouldn't it have already came with a tranny cooler? I'll be sure to look no matter what. What do you guys think about lowering it?
Old 08-07-2003, 11:06 AM
www.s10v8.com

It will have the stock cooler in the radiator, but i would still add an aftermarket cooler too. The extra cooler will be alot cheaper than another tranny. I'm not really into the lowering thing myself, but i would definitely think that lowering it and towing a racecar will cause you some headaches in the long run, JMHO....Jay
Old 08-07-2003, 11:28 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last photo:

Thanks Jay. That's what I wanted to hear, an honest opinion. Would you think a little cheap cooler that runs along the frame would be good enough? Or would something bigger with a fan be more sensable?
Old 08-07-2003, 03:12 PM
il enforcer

We had a 2000 Sonoma, V6/at combo. The chintzy tranny cooler from the factory is a joke. Buy a good one. Its much cheaper than a new tranny.

I towed my Father I/Laws 89 T bird with it. Combined weight ( trailer and Car ) was 5500 lbs. I had no problems. Make sure the trailer has brakes on it. I also towed my Laser with it on a non brake equipped trailer . VERY scary.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:57 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last photo:

Hey CET, thanks, do you think the little cheap tranny coolers that run along the frame are good enough, or should I go with one that has a fan and is bigger?
Old 08-07-2003, 05:00 PM
www.s10v8.com

Try to find you something like this or go to the local parts store and tell them what you will be towing. Heres what you need.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2425698442

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.