Hot Rod Forum banner

any bobcat or diesel mechanix???

25K views 52 replies 14 participants last post by  jesse01 
#1 · (Edited)
i know a bobcat is not a hotrod (or maybe it could be :D ) but anyway i'm lost :confused:

alright hopefully we have someone here that worked on these before, so here goes

we have a 863 ( i think) turbo bobcat and we can not get it to start for nothing. It'll turn over till the cows come home but it will not start. it's been sitting for a few months so we jacked up the rearend so it's leaning forward pulled the plug in the gas tank and let it drain out there was alot of water in it you could just see it while it was draining, so we put some freh diesel in it let it down jacked it back up so it would splash around and drained it again, it looked clean and didn't see clumps of water the 2nd time. then we put a fresh water seperator filter on and some other filter put some more diesel back in it, still won't start

we was going to change out the fuel pump selinoid but this guy at grand rental told us if you turn the key to the "on" position you should here a click coming from it, than when you turn the key off it should click again. so we tried that and it did exactly like he said should, so we figured we shouldn't mess with it and leave well enough alone

any thaughts or suggestion would be great

the engine thats in it is a 863 turbo made by Deutz

J

See less See more
#3 ·
well for the fuel pressure we cracked all the line that goes into the injector housing and it's pumping out diesel outa all of them

the air intake is open we poped out the 2 filters and wiped a little dust off the plastic housing

we tried ether, i had someone turn the key while i gave it a shot or two and it try's real hard to run but it just won't start all the way

I personally don't like using ether but i figured i tried everything else i could think of right off the top of my head

J

#5 · (Edited)
It sounds like it got air in the system, probably while you were jacking and draining. Loosen the fuel lines( a couple of turns) on all of the injectors ( at the injectors not the pump) then spin the engine over with the starter untill you see fuel come out, then tighten the lines one at a time as you see fuel come out. When you get them all tight try to start the engine. If this does not work then you may have gotten water in your injection pump or your injectors and messed them up.

#8 ·
The injection pump is sort of like a distributer ecept it distributes fuel instead of electricity. It has a fuel line coming into it from the lift pump and has a fuel line going out for each cylinder. The injectors are on the other end of these lines. They are mounted into the head. Loosed the fuel lines on each injector at the injectors and spin engine over with starter to bleed. If it starts while your bleeding it just tighten your fittings back up.

#12 ·
What Twisted said plus I will give you a tip....next time you change the water separator and the fuel filter on a diesel...fill them full of diesel before you put them on....you will have a lot less air this way and it will be easier to bleed.

#13 ·
I'm familiar with diesels

It sounds like compression. Because diesels dont require ignition and it sounds like your fuel pump is working and the starter is spinning the engine. you might try and changing the oil. stick with Rotella and add a little no smoke ...it'll add a little thickness to the oil (add compression). The only other thing it could be is your injector pump timing is off. I agree with Henry But I usually fill my filters with tranny fluid, it contains alot of cleaners.

#15 ·
What was the fuel level in the tank while it was sitting? Was the bobcat sitting level or was it on an incline? I was using a buddies once and the fuel was below 1/4 tank and was parked on a slight incline for about two-three weeks. I went to start it and the same thing happened, tried and tried to get it started. We added fuel to get it over 1/2 tank, replaced the filter and had to bleed the lines (the whole line system).
While trying to start it with the the low fuel, it sucked water and air into the system. Diesels don't run on airiated water. This was just a thought because it happened to me. Luckly this happened before to my buddy who owned it so he knew what to do, and wasn't too upset with me. :spank:

#16 ·
I think you will be all right just bleeding it, you said it acted like it wanted to hit a little when you tried the either so maybe all ya need is to get the air out of the thing . You might want to put a battery charger on it on boost if ya got one while you are bleeding so you won't run the battery down.

#17 ·
How long has this Bobcat been sitting since the last time is has run? How many hours are on it? Sounds like the most common problem after changing separators and filters is it still has air in the fuel system. All the air has to be bled out as diesel injectors open usually from 2000psi on up to 3100psi depending on injection system and manufacturer of the engines. Sometimes it seems to take forever to get all the air out, but has to be done or you will crank forever and it will still not start. If it has low hours on it I dought compression is the problem. Diesels usually turn allot lower RPM than gas engines in an industrial application, very few mechanical problems on diesels until you get many, many hours on them. Good Luck

gcrmcc

#18 ·
Henry is probably correct. You may have to bleed the entire system Including the pump.. I've had to do it many times when some SOB would run duetz tractor out of fuel or improperly change filters. Same with the Ford. That can have ONE air bubble in the entire system and you could crank untill the starter fried. No Start!!!!

#21 ·
if it isn't one thing it's another

alright i took a couple pic.s of the motor to show you guys what i'm talking about but i can't get the stupid camera to unload. i'll have to wait till the ol' lady gets home to see if she can get it. she's a little more comp. literate than i am

anyway today i had a few min. after work to mess with it. i cracked the injector lines at the injector and i can't get NO fuel up there (i tried all em) but if you trace the fuel line down from the injector down to that little housing thing i can get fuel there to come out when i crack the bolt, but it just won't go from there and up that line to the injector :confused:

if anybody understands that please help, but if not hopefully i can get the pic.s loaded so you can see what i'm talking about

J

#23 · (Edited)
alright heres the pic.s of the motor. ok you see the injectors? if you follow the fuel line down from each injector it goes into that little housing thing. if i crack that bolt on that little housing thing fuel will come out of it, but for some reason i can't get the fuel to go from there to the top of the line to the injector

J

Attachments

#24 ·
hey guys you all have great suggestions but you all forget the most simple things sometimes as we all do. there is a small lever on the bottom of the fuel distributor. you need to sit down and push that darn thing until you feel positive pressure, it will take quite a bit of pushing. once you feel pressure turn it over and push some more. it is a manual primer and will work all the air out of the injectors. I WOULD NOT CRACK THE LINE OPEN ON THE INJECTORS!!! diesels run on around 2000-3000 psi fuel pressure and allowing a little bit of fuel escape is a good way to loose fingers ( i have seen it happen). what it sounds like is there are air bubbles in the injectors. those injectors are mechanical and rely on pressure to open, and air acts as a cushion and lowers the psi at the injector and does not allow enough psi to reach the tip to open it. i doubt very seriously that the injector timing is off and if by some slim chance it is it needs to go to a shop to get reset you shouldn't try it yourself. it takes some time to get the air so don't give up you may want to hook up some jumper cables to the battery so it has enough juice to do this. actually i am sorry i am thinking of the cat skid steers yours has a primer bulb you need to squeeze

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.