any body notice the dip above the wheel crowns after new quarter installed? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013, 09:43 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

any body notice the dip above the wheel crowns after new quarter installed?

I notice this on a lot of cars that have had new quarters installed. It's an area that appears that a lot of guys generally don't even pay attention to cause it's not exactly a deal breaker for some standards of quality but at my shop we need to address this issue. I notice it on my Mustang where someone worked on the quarter. I used a straight edge and measured from a couple distances from the top of the quarter on the good side to get the true shape and noticed it was in on the replacement quarter smack dab in the middle of the wheel arch down low by the lip. I've seen some quarters come out of the box like that but am think some of this must be created by the people who install them as well. I noticed it on a cheap pile of a quarter I put on an Impala but can't recall if it was there to begin with. I do recall a struggle to get the quarter to fit the wheelhouse. Wondering if something I did caused this and if so, it seems pretty common.

Anyhow, being I have a 14 month old in the house I'm not the usual me when it comes to fixing my OWN car...yeah, go figure. So I tried to just mud over the low and couldn't live with myself doing it. At that point I told myself I was going to porto the quarter out at the wheel house without damaging the inner wheel house. It was too late at night to strip the mud off to see where the metal was so I gently pushed it out where I was sure it needed it. Looked like it was partially working. So today I'm gonna strip that area and really fine tune it. The only thing that sucks is that it's anyone's guess how much the darn outer quarter is gonna move as a unit with a 4 ton porto. it's pretty random from my past experiences. You might get one area to move and you'll move along the crown and an area 2" away won't budge. Another option is to use a stud gun to pull up those areas but it's not a dent, it's the unit itself being held in by tension, so without even attempting to pull it up with a dent puller I've assumed that it would equate to pulling a kink out of the quarter without pulling the quarter so it hasn't even been a thought. Anyhow, moving forward my attention will be drawn to that on the next quarter I do and am guessing, even though it's not the right thing, maybe I might consider moving out the outer wheel house with the quarter loosely on there and check fit til it's where it needs to be rather than wrestling the fit and perhaps causing the wheel crown area to sink in by forcing it on there. This isn't even an issue with a lot of shops but here it is, and that's not a fun area to be mudding.

Any opinions and thoughts on this appreciated. For the mean time I will push out that outer wheel house on my stang even though it's clear the outer wheel house is where it needs to be from factory but I'd rather have something irregular where it doesn't really matter as opposed to one area on the car with more filler than needed.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

I know exactly the area that your talking about, usually right where the flange goes flat against the quarter mostly toward the rear half of the panel. This is an extremely tough spot to block out with a skim coat of filler because it is a low spot in a complex curve to a flat part of the panel. This is a common problem with the mustang quarters and yes they are like that before you install them and the fit to the inner wheel house just exaggerates the low spot even more. And you are right most times they are just overlooked by a lot of shops because the level of quality is not there. And like I said it is a VERY hard area to get perfectly ripple free because you need a hard but yet flexible curved block to get it right. Definatly a challege spot to make perfect for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to mr4speed For This Useful Post:
tech69 (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 10:40 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

on the Impala I did I mudded it but not exactly to the true shape cause I noticed it was right below the body line so the differing planes hid it in a way. It worked. It "hid" it fine. On this Mustang there's nothing really to hide it. It's smack dab right there for all to see, on top of knowing there's a pretty sharp line around the wheel crown that has to be perfect or defined, which makes this all a nightmare to deal with in filler. Almost to the point where I'm looking at prices for new quarters.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:42 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Martin has an answer for this and is reminding me why he shouldn't spill the beans. Spill the beans old man! This is why you are on this site!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
There are no beans to spill. Can you post a photo so we know exactly what you are talking about, I am not clear. I have an idea but want to be clear.

Brian
Old 03-23-2013, 12:42 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

I just fixed it. I put a porto power angled up at the outer wheel house and pushed it out. I made a measurement on the good quarter from the middle of the wheel opening 3" down from the top of the quarter and 8" down then marked the bad quarter. Out on the 3" on the good quarter it was bowed out a butt hair and on the 8" mark on the good quarter it was bowed out more. On the bad quarter on the 3" mark it was bowed out too far. On the 8" mark it was in too far. Real close to the wheel crown on quarters that were replaced will a lot of times will be "caved in", as this was. Today I stripped it and pushed it back out with a porto and 2x4. You have to find a sweet spot that will push it out at the right areas so you do gentle pushes til you see it's pushing in the right area. It moves the quarter as a unit sort of and that's good cause it's not a ding or dent, it's just in. So I basically pushed out in the right area by finding the sweet spot and was hammering on a 2x4 on the 3" mark where it was supposed to go in. It worked great. Looked better in metal than it did in filler prior. It's a technique I use when fixing quarters on cars where it's hit in that area and rolls the crown into the quarter. These just happen to create the same damage but from bad stampings and/or bad installation. just wondering if there was something I can do better in the quarter instillation process so it doesn't happen to me, like maybe pushing it out before you weld it up and while it's loosely on there so you attempt a mock up to see how much of the wrestling it can eliminate when clamping the wheel house area down.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.