Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Any corvette knowledge out there? Fiberglass questions
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 07:13 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhunt00c
Thanks Tim... new to the older vet scene. Used to own a C5 buts that all different.

When you say bonding straps, what do you mean? The back glass looked like it had a bead of silicone maybe on it.... don't recall for sure.

Can you cleanup minor body imperfections with plastics or mud like you can a steel body? How do I clean those areas up the right way since they are fiberglass.

What would you say a 73 is worth in that condition. its complete, all original 68K miles car. 350 automatic. missing the nose cone.

Just needs some TLC.
C1(53-62),c2(63-67),and c3(68-82) corvette bodies are made of many different smaller panels bonded together to make the whole corvette body. To hold them together the a strips of fiberglass that are bonder behind the two adjacent panels.(bonding straps) If these are missing from a previous repair it can make the body weaker and crack prone. Or if you have a car that has been wreck it may have a "one piece clip" which is aftermarket and will not have any bonding straps and may have a rough fiberglass texture on the back side of the panel. I just alway look for these straps when I get a old vet as they can shed some light on what it has been through. I have attached a pic that show a 80 or so vette in the raw to give you an idea of the seams.

If you have crack in the glass you have to repair it with glass not filler or it will crack again. As for as the value I not sure about that, I usually cut up my cars so value to me is not important. Check a website that can give values like a nada site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0012.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	29118